Hey, my name is Jessica and I'm from a small town outside of Tulsa Ok.  I'm having a hard time meeting any atheists.  Right now I would settle for someone that didn't look at me like I was going to eat their soul when I tell them I'm an atheist. Anyone else live in this little corner of hell the bible belt? 

Views: 75

Replies to This Discussion

My mother was (I believe) paranoid-schizophrenic. Violent & abusive, too. When she finally died, my (now-ex) GF and I were the only people at the funeral (other than the minister.) Her whole family was glad to be rid of her. I couldn't blame them.

I wonder if it's genetic. Her sister is crazy, too, though in a different way. Her delusions are very specific, and frankly, relatively harmless.
Schizophrenia is a genetic form of psychosis, yes. Have fun with that, when it kicks in for you, man. :-P
I'm hoping I can avoid the mental-illness part of things. Those in her family that are wacko, seem to be that way pretty much from Day One, so hopefully I won't have any surprises in store for me.
She's kind of off in the middle of nowhere, atheism-wise. She's about 450 miles from Austin, so that's a bit far for getting involved with anything. Her best bet is Oklahoma City, which is still about 140 miles. That's apparently made more painful by the tolls on I-44. It's a bit further than most are willing to go for regular meet-ups.

Hmm, I just pulled it up on Meetup.com, though. It doesn't look like Tulsa is completely dead. The Tulsa Atheists Meetup Group has 330 members. Figuring the usual 1 in 10 activity level, that's still a reasonable number of people. It looks like they had 46 show up to one activity, recently. That's usually inflated a little by people failing to check off that they didn't make it, but still ...
wanted to reply to this thread and say. I'm from tulsa and I completely understand where you are coming from.

RSS

© 2015   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service