Deficiency of Vitamin D Strongly Linked to Alzheimer's and Other Forms of Dementia.

A recent study has revealed a strong link between a deficiency of vitamin D and various forms of dementia including Alzheimer's disease. Per the article:

People with moderate-to-severe vitamin D deficiencies are significantly more likely to develop Alzheimer’s disease or other forms of dementia than those who have an adequate supply of the vitamin in their body, a new study has found. Researchers, led by David J. Llewellyn at the University of Exeter Medical School, found that adults who suffered from a moderate deficiency of vitamin D had a 53 percent higher risk of some form of dementia, while the risk increased 125 percent in those with severe deficiencies. People moderately deficient in vitamin D were 69 percent more likely to develop Alzheimer’s-caused dementia, while those severely deficient raised the risk to 122 percent.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/researchers-s...

Tags: Alzheimer's, Dementia, Jubinsky, Vitamin D

Views: 61

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for posting, John. Vitamin D has been linked to almost anything lately: I wonder if it's a sort of hype. We need it anyway, so let's try to find what works and what doesn't!

Another study linked vitamin D deficiency to aggressive prostate cancer.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/276190.php

For years, until maybe a year ago, I looked for but found no Vitamin D in grocery stores.

I asked around and heard too much was thought harmful so it was taken off the shelves.

Did a recent dementia surge cause the change?

5,000 IU of vitamin D per day is safe and helps to prevent cancer too.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Supporting Membership

Nexus on Social Media:

Latest Activity

Profile IconTruthnotfaith and Liliana joined Atheist Nexus
18 minutes ago
Loren Miller replied to George Chase's discussion Cecil the Lion.
21 minutes ago
Pat replied to George Chase's discussion Cecil the Lion.
32 minutes ago
Daniel W commented on Donald R Barbera's blog post CASTING STONES IN GLASS HOUSES
1 hour ago
Randall Smith commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
1 hour ago
Randall Smith commented on Daniel W's group Godless in the garden
1 hour ago
jay H commented on Donald R Barbera's blog post CASTING STONES IN GLASS HOUSES
1 hour ago
Loren posted a status
"Thanks! Hopefully I can figure some of my stuff out from you guys."
1 hour ago

© 2015   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service