Women's Scientific Achievements Often Overlooked and Undervalued

A new study from Social Studies of Science (published by SAGE) reveals that when men chair committees that select scientific awards recipients, males win the awards more than 95% of the time.

They found that committees that were chaired by men awarded 95.1% of their prizes to men despite the fact that women made up 21% of the nomination pools. While having women on a committee did increase the chances that women were awarded prizes, women made up only 19.5% of the average award committee and male chairs trumped any effect of having women on the committee.

Tags: gender bias in awards

Views: 36

Replies to This Discussion

Yes I would believe this study. I can think of many women scientists in the past that were overlooked.

That's just naming some that came to mind off hand. There are more.

Support Atheist Nexus

Supporting Membership

Nexus on Social Media:

Latest Activity

Loren Miller posted a status
"Meeting this morning was kicked off by the mayor of Madison, who in words at the very least supports the FFRF! Very, very welcome!"
24 minutes ago
James Smith commented on Evilgenius20's video
51 minutes ago
James Smith commented on James Smith's video
59 minutes ago
James Smith posted a video

Becoming Free

How the bible set me free.
1 hour ago
Rock posted photos
1 hour ago
Randall Smith replied to Loren Miller's discussion bending truth, or "We Can All Be Manipulated" (TheraminTrees) in the group Hang With Friends
1 hour ago
Sally Ride is now a member of Atheist Nexus
1 hour ago
Michael Penn commented on Gregory Phillip Dearth's blog post Morality: Subjective vs Objective - but does it MATTER?
1 hour ago

© 2015   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service