As a senior citizen, I'd imagined that I wouldn't live to see 2 degree C rise. Now there's a chance I will, because it's coming faster. Remember that 2 degree rise means a global average, in which land temperatures very much exceed ocean temperatures.
Global CO2 emissions are now so high—in 2019, they hit a new record of forty-three billion metric tons—that ten more years of the same will be nothing short of cataclysmic. Unless emissions are reduced, and radically, a rise of two degrees Celsius (3.6 degrees Fahrenheit) will be pretty much unavoidable by 2030. [emphasis mine]

What Will Another Decade of Climate Crisis Bring?

BTW, Dec 24th 2019 saw surface melt of 15% of Antarctica. All-Time Record for Antarctic Ice-Melt over 24 Hr. Period Set on Ch...

image source

Views: 20

Replies to This Discussion

I'm thinking along the same lines, Ruth, it's scary. And I'm very happy that I never had children...

Thanks for explaining why a 2 degree rise is worse than it sounds!

"The Australian wildfires are 6,400 times the size of California's,..." 

This is how big Australia's wildfires actually are

"More than 1 billion animals are now thought to have been killed by the record-breaking wildfires in Australia,..."

Scientist estimates that more than a billion animals killed by Aust...

" “Climate change is making these disasters worse, and these disasters are making climate change worse,” says Gleick. "

Australia's Wildfires and Climate Change Are Making One Another Wor...

Emotionally, isn't this a step change? It's-coming-faster made real.

Had a wildfire soon that would kill a billion animals been predicted four months ago, frenzied "alarmist" insults would have flooded the airwaves. Media pundits would have roared with derision, snorted in contempt.

RSS

About

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

Nexus on Social Media:

© 2020   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: The Nexus Group.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service