Take an amusing quiz to learn about unexpected effects of Climate Change. After each multiple choice question, you see if you were right (and the right answer if you weren't).

Think you know the off effects of Global Climate change?

As you can see I got one wrong for every two correct answers.

Views: 1529

Replies to This Discussion

This author thinks it will be chimpanzees.

"Let's run through some of the potential criteria for human intelligence. How about something crucial, like our use of tools and technology? Humans don't have a monopoly on this - birds can use tools in a very basic way as part of their foraging, and even incredibly simple organisms like cephalopods are known to cover themselves in coconut shells for camouflage. But it's chimpanzees that really approach human levels of tool use - they've shown signs of flexible tool use, and a 2007 study revealed chimpanzees sharpened their sticks to use as spears, which is the first systematic use of a weapon ever observed outside humans."

Alasdair Wilkins,  If humanity went extinct, what species would replace us?

I don't agree. I think the replacement of humans will not be a mammal! It will be an insect, a cockroach!

Kafka wrote about his feelings, the feelings of the society, and of examining themes of detachment, apprehension, guilt, and shame. Remember his book, "The "Metamorphosis?" The main character turned into a bug, an insect. 

"As Gregor Samsa awoke one morning from uneasy dreams he found himself transformed in his bed into a gigantic insect."

~Franz Kafka

When I was in Germany, I saw a statue of a man with his head split open and an insect emerging, kind of like a cicada.

I remember listening to the audiobook of The World Without Us by Alan Weisman; it's an eye-opening account of what might happen if one day humans simply vanished from the earth.

Without maintenance to fix leaks, many buildings would rot and crumble; and the last of our artifacts to survive might be made of brass and ceramics. I don't remember his prediction of a particular species taking over. Our pets wouldn't last long.

Climate change is making lakes and coastal waters brown with suspended organic matter at the same time that warmer water supports more toxic bacteria. Ultraviolet light can't penetrate brown water as well, so the bacteria aren't disinfected. End result - increasing illness from waterborne disease.

Climate Change May Stunt Ability Of Ultraviolet Light To Disinfect ...

“We were able to determine that in some cases, browning is decreasing the ability of sunlight to disinfect water by a factor of 10. This could have serious implications for drinking water supplies and coastal fisheries across the globe.”

....surface waters will become more and more dangerous. This will be compounded directly by the reality that as temperatures continue climbing, pathogenic bacteria will become more and more common in surface waters anyways. [emphasis mine]

Thanks for the concise explanation!

RSS

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2017   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service