Every few days, it seems, another factor is discovered to further accelerate Climate Destabilization. Today we learned that increasing CO2 makes ice crack faster.

Glaciers Cracking in the Presence of Carbon Dioxide

... CO2 molecules may be having a more direct impact on the ice that covers our planet. Researchers from the Massachusetts Institute for Technology have shown that the material strength and fracture toughness of ice are decreased significantly under increasing concentrations of CO2 molecules, making ice caps and glaciers more vulnerable to cracking and splitting into pieces,...

Ice caps and glaciers cover seven per cent of Earth -- more than Europe and North America combined -- and are responsible for reflecting 80-90 per cent of the Sun's light rays that enter our atmosphere and maintain Earth's temperature. They are also a natural carbon sink, capturing a large amount of CO2.

"If ice caps and glaciers were to continue to crack and break into pieces, their surface area that is exposed to air would be significantly increased, which could lead to accelerated melting and much reduced coverage area on the Earth.

... CO2molecules first adhere to the crack boundary of ice by forming a bond with the hydrogen atoms and then migrate through the ice in a flipping motion along the crack boundary towards the crack tip.

The CO2 molecules accumulate at the crack tip and constantly attack the water molecules by trying to bond to them. This leaves broken bonds behind and increases the brittleness of the ice on a macroscopic scale. [emphasis mine]

I hadn't known that the 7% of Earth covered by ice acted as a CO2 sink, so as ice melts the CO2 it contains will be re-released too.

Views: 597

Replies to This Discussion

Katey Walter Anthony, from the University of Alaska Fairbanks, comments of the speed of thermokarst lake methane release.

"The mechanism of abrupt thaw and thermokarst lake formation matters a lot for the permafrost-carbon feedback this century."
"We don't have to wait 200 or 300 years to get these large releases of permafrost carbon."
"Within my lifetime, my children's lifetime, it should be ramping up. It's already happening but it's not happening at a really fast rate right now, but within a few decades, it should peak."[emphasis mine]

NASA HAS DISCOVERED ARCTIC LAKES BUBBLING WITH METHANE—AND THAT’S V...

Higher Arctic temperatures have increased snowfall on land around the Arctic circle. Samples from Russia and Alaska suggest that thick snow might insulate permafrost to not only delay Winter refreeze but sometimes prevent it. This feedback hasn't been quantified yet, much less included in climate models.

Exclusive: Some Arctic Ground No Longer Freezing—Even in Winter

Scientist Sergey Zimov ... uses the metal rod in his hand to quickly test the depth of frozen ground.

...  in a region where temperatures can dip to 40 degrees below zero Fahrenheit, the Zimovs say unusually high snowfall this year worked like a blanket, trapping excess heat in the ground. They found sections 30 inches deep—soils that typically freeze before Christmas—that had stayed damp and mushy all winter. For the first time in memory, ground that insulates deep Arctic permafrost simply did not freeze in winter.

... Ted Schuur, a permafrost expert at Northern Arizona University. "In the permafrost world, this is a significant milestone in a disturbing trend...

... Mathias Goeckede with Germany's Max Planck Institute for Biogeochemistry spends weeks each summer traversing crumbling boardwalks over spongy Siberian ground.

Measurements at his site show that snow depth there has roughly doubled in five years. When excessive snow smothers the ground, warmth below the surface may not dissipate during winter. Data from a drill hole on Goeckede's site appears to capture that phenomenon: In April, temperatures 13 inches below ground there increased roughly 10 degrees Fahrenheit in that same five-year period.

..., Vladimir Romanovsky saw something similar. ... a permafrost expert at the University of Alaska, Fairbanks,...  

"For all years before 2014, the complete freeze-up of the active layer would happen in mid-January," he says. "Since 2014, the freeze-up date has shifted to late February and even March."

But this winter, Fairbanks, too, saw extremely heavy snow. And for the first time on record, the active layer at two of Romanovsky's sites didn't freeze at all.

"This is really a very important threshold," he adds.

It is a small sample size.

"It's worrisome," says Sue Natali, a permafrost expert, also with Woods Hole, who saw an active layer not re-freeze recently during a research trip to Alaska's Yukon region. "When we see things happening that haven't happened in the lifetime of the scientists studying them, that should be a concern." [emphasis mine]

Shocking positive feedback between sea level rise and CO rise, just found.

When sea level rises 20m in a few centuries, permafrost along the coast of the North Pacific and the Sea of Okhotsk melts so fast it dramatically bumps up global CO2 levels.

About 11,500 and 14,600 years ago, particularly intense melting of the ice-sheets led to what are known as meltwater pulses -- and each time the sea level rose by up to 20 metres within a few centuries. "We assume that this resulted in severe erosion of the permafrost coast in the Sea of Okhotsk and the North Pacific -- a phenomenon that we can observe in the Arctic today." This allowed large amounts of several-thousand-year-old plant remains to enter the ocean, some of which were broken down into carbon dioxide by bacteria or deposited in the ocean floor.

By estimating the area of permafrost lost to the sea at the time, he obtained data on the likely amount of carbon dioxide released. The results are eye opening: 11,500 and 14,600 years ago, erosion of Arctic permafrost probably contributed to about 50 percent of the carbon dioxide increase, and 16,500 years ago to about a quarter.

The AWI team has thus revealed a process that could become reality in the future. Today the Arctic's permafrost coast is eroding severely because the region is warming rapidly -- in some places the coast is receding at a rate of 20 metres per year. As Gesine Mollenhauer explains: "Our findings show that this coastal erosion is an important process, but to date it has not been sufficiently considered in climate models. Such effects need to be included in future models." [emphasis mine]

Coastal erosion in the Arctic intensifies global warming

This is the first I heard of this phenomenon. I am looking for up to date information on it. 

The proposed silicon smelter to be located in the town of Newport is expected to give off toxic gases and waste products. 

HiTestSands proposes to build a silicon smelter in Newport, Washington State, to extract silicon from quartzite. The stone will be shipped in by railroad from Canada. 

The smelter will be fueled by coal, shipped in by railroad cars.

According to the company, using today's advanced technology. the pollutants created by their smelter per year will be the largest in the state per year:

5th largest emitter of sulfur dioxide,  

12th largest emitter of nitrogen oxides, 

15th largest emitter of greenhouse gases.

The silicon plant will produce per year:

760 tons of sulfur dioxide, 

700 tons of nitrogen oxides

320,000 tons of greenhouse gases,

I don't know how much ash from burning coal in the smelter. 

RSS

About

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2018   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: The Nexus Group.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service