‘This is criminal’: Whistleblower reports that ICE held thousands o...

New reports surfaced on Tuesday about the Department of Homeland Security’s use of solitary confinement, where it has placed thousands of immigrants in solitary confinement due to their sexual orientation, gender identity, and disabilities.

Ellen Gallagher, a DHS policy adviser-turned-whistleblower, shared her knowledge of what she called the “torture” of more than 8,000 immigrants by the U.S. government ...

Only about half of the cases detailed in the documents involved detainees who had been accused of misconduct that could endanger others; the other half were placed in solitary confinement due to so-called “security risks” they posed—including the use of canes or other mobility aids due to physical disabilities, their sexual orientation, or the fact that they identified as transgender.

“People were being brutalized.”

The United Nations expert on torture said in 2011 that the use of solitary confinement qualifies as “torture or cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment,” and has called for the practice to be used only in exceptional cases—and then only for a maximum of 15 days.

Immigrants who had spent weeks or months in solitary confinement reported having been placed there after complaining of abuse by guards, being falsely accused of kissing or touching other detainees, and being labeled a safety risk because they used prosthetic limbs, wheelchairs, canes, or a cast for a broken arm. 

At least 13 immigrants who have died in ICE custody spent time in solitary confinement. Seven of them committed suicide while in solitary, ... [emphasis mine]

Report: LGBT immigrant detainees face higher risk of sexual assault...

... many LGBT immigration detainees are asylum seekers or survivors of torture who have fled their home country to escape persecution for their sexuality.

Views: 46

Replies to This Discussion

That is disgusting, Ruth.

Ugh!! Agreed! NOT IN OUR NAME!

(And I wish the "Like" button here were named something like "Thank". As I keep saying, I appreciate Ruth's reporting and sharing, but most definitely don't like the facts in question!)

RSS

About

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

Nexus on Social Media:

© 2019   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: The Nexus Group.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service