The Republicans stand up for sexual predators because the Republica...

This Daily Kos article expresses the outrage so many of us feel.

image source

Kavanaugh is emblematic of an entire partriarchal culture of privilege, unaccountability, marginalization, and abuse of demographic minorities, and structural and ideological misogyny. And the Republican Party supports him just as they support the man who appointed him. 

At least nineteen women have accused Donald Trump of sexual abuseNineteen. Were he the CEO of a Fortune 500 company, he would have been fired.

The #MeToo movement was partially inspired by Trump, ... and ... it has united millions of people of all genders finally to hold accountable even powerful, famous, wealthy, and seemingly culturally iconic men. 

Those who defend Trump, those who defend Kavanaugh, those who make excuses for despicable behavior can't fathom that sexual abuse no longer will be tolerated. That is why the Republicans dig in.

Because sexual abuse was supposed to be okay, ... Trump got away with it, so why shouldn't Kavanaugh? Why shouldn't all men who abuse women? 

Republicans say Kavanaugh's accusers are lying, even though it is the accusers who are asking for an FBI investigation, and it is the Republicans who are refusing one. As if liars normally ask to be investigated. [emphasis mine]

Views: 194

Replies to This Discussion

John Oliver dissected and mocked Kavanaugh's testimony:

Oliver ended his show by passionately arguing that he can’t see a good reason for pushing Kavanaugh into the position, noting that any Republican pick will likely restrict abortion rights.

“You don’t need to choose an unhinged partisan with multiple accusations of sexual misconduct hanging over him,” he said. “So it feels like they’re doing this, just to deliver a ‘fuck you’ to Democrats, and even more directly, a ‘fuck you’ to women.

Oliver argued that there were several “disqualifying” moments in Kavanaugh’s testimony—none more so than his allegation of a left-wing conspiracy that sounded “positively Trumpian.”

“Now, that is absolutely horrifying ... we are supposed to have at least nine people left in America who do not talk that way, and yet Kavanaugh just all but came out and said he’s going to approach his entire tenure as one case of Me vs. The Libtard Cucks,” said Oliver.

(ellipses and emphases mine)

Via Joe.My.God., with more quotes and lots of intelligent and snarky comments:

John Oliver Devotes Entire Show To Kavanaugh [VIDEO]

(And as usual, I'm "Liking" not the facts but Ruth's reporting and sharing. Thanks, Ruth! I wouldn't mind the button being renamed.)

Also shaking my head at the right wing's use of "cuck" as an insult.

To any man who truly gets that women are people (why do we still need to think about Marie Shear's apt definition of the "radical notion" of feminism in the twenty-first goddamned century?) it's only a reminder that people are often attracted to other people, and sometimes break monogamous commitments they've made -- a man's wife or girlfriend having an affair is no different from a woman's husband or boyfriend having one.

And that intended insult has zero power over polyamorous people like me, or swingers or others who engage in many kinds of ethical, responsible nonmonogamy and who take joy in their partners taking pleasure with others.

(This diagram by Franklin Veaux includes "religious/social polygamy" and cheating, where consent is iffy or absent, but also a wide variety of ethical nonmonogamous relationship styles.)

(click to enlarge)

A comment observing the hypocrisy that many of the advocates of anti-trans bathroom bills would also defend the "male privilege" of sexual abusers like Kavanaugh:

(Young woman with hands over mouth) A year ago you were outraged that your daughter might be assaulted in public restrooms - Today you showed her you wouldn't believe her if she told anyone about it. #WhyIDidntReport

(click to enlarge)

Good point!

One reason why I do not believe women outright is because of a mother I observed who fought tooth and nail to keep her children away from their father. She lied, over exaggerated, and was completely nuts. I heard voicemails of her yelling and making ridiculous accusations of the father. She would lie in court. She made agreements to meet halfway to pick up the kids but would always call saying her car wasn't working, and then would not work so he would pay more child support (and spend much of the money on herself). She brainwashed the children to side against him, but they saw that he was a nice guy when they visited him. I feel sorry for the children and father.

I'm sure you have other hilariously absurd reasons for "not believing women outright."

Is something hilarious about a man not being able to see his children?

Did I say the situation of the couple in your example was hilarious?

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller???

If you take an example of a lying woman as an excuse to never believe us... don't get us started about men!

My point exactly.

The God of the Hebrew Scriptures / Old Testament is male. (Hebrew, like Romance and some other languages, has gender baked into many parts of its grammar. There's no gender-neutral option; even "they" is masculine or feminine.)

And the Bible doesn't represent that god as a trustworthy truth-teller! The very first two chapters give two conflicting creation stories. Immediately afterwards, God lies about the humans dying "the very day" they eat the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge, while the serpent tells the truth!

A story from there that holds up human deception as an exemplar: Jacob used an elaborate trick to steal the inheritance and blessing that his father Isaac intended to go to Jacob's older brother Esau.

The New Testament also portrays an untrustworthy male deity, who while incarnated promised his disciples that he'd return within their lifetimes. Some two millennia later, we're still waiting...

Why should we trust any man who holds up the Bible as a standard? 

I don't think anyone is saying that all women's accusations should be considered right, all the time. Of course there are cases where women are irresponsible and not reliable. The point is that in this culture, women's accusations are routinely dismissed and men's denials routinely taken at face value.

Your personal experience matters.

I knew a single woman who dated a married man. Both accused the guy's wife of being a terrible mother and praised him as a father. But what happened? He divorced his wife, left those kids to her complete responsibility, to marry the single woman. The new happy couple never cared for the children, never even mentioned them afterward.

There's lots of variance, many anecdotes. What counts, to me, is the cultural patterns.

Nineteen women accuse the Republican President of sexual assault. The nation shrugs. Had nineteen men accused Hillary Clinton, imagine the tsunami of outrage and spittle.

RSS

About

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2018   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: The Nexus Group.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service