Have any of you gotten your Debaptismal Certificate? I saw it on the FFRF website and I love it.  The certificate reads:

“I, having been subjected to a Christian baptism before reaching an age of consent, or having submitted to baptism before embracing freethought and reason, hereby officially renounce that primitive rite and the Church that imposed it. I categorically reject the creeds, dogmas, and superstitions of my former religion, particularly the pernicious doctrines of ‘Original Sin’ and damnation.
“I further denounce as an affront and defamation to humanity the false and demeaning belief that any baby is born with ‘Original Sin’ and must be cleansed of it by baptism. From this day forward, I wish to be excluded from any claims of religious affiliation or membership based on baptismal records.”

Views: 586

Replies to This Discussion

Do they also have a "deconfirmation certificate"?

Not having been raised Christian, I always wondered what would stop someone from receiving sacraments or communion if they wanted to on their word alone, without any proof? Not that I want to do it, but just curious. If you sit in church and watch what they do, you could easily pass yourself off, couldn't you? So those documents, including baptismal certificates don't really mean anything, do they?

There is no real way to know if someone is "allowed" to go to communion during mass.  There was an incident, years ago, at the school my sons attended.  It was a Byzantine Catholic school and there was an Indian family with children enrolled, their oldest being in eighth grade.  This family was Hindu.  During the eighth grade graduation mass, the boy did go to communion and from what I heard, his teacher nearly fainted!  Egads!!  How could he?!?!?

Now I think about it, what was the big deal??  To most of the world, it's a piece of dry, tasteless bread that sticks to the roof of your mouth, almost impossible to remove.  Think Styrofoam.  I do remember practically having to treat the host like it was this delicate, fragile thing, barely to be touched by mere human hands.  And the controversy when we (they!!) could take the host in our hand - the opposite of our dominant hand with the dominant hand cupped underneath, then use our dominant hand to stick it in our mouths.  Sacrilegious!!!!

Good question about whether certificates of sacraments are worth anything.  My guess is that they are only worth anything except to the person who was given the sacraments (and eventually important to hand down to family members).  Many times, that is the only proof of the date of a given sacrament.  One has to share dates of prior sacraments in order to receive the next.  It's all so stupid and completely ridiculous now that I can look from the outside in... 

Thanks for your clarification. I would never want to pass myself off as one of them, but I guess people who are really concerned about fitting in might.

Just FYI, there is no documentation in Judaism. If I say I'm a Jew, and name my parents with their Hebrew names, no one would question me. There is, however, documentation of a marriage, which protects the woman's rights. And also documentation of a divorce, so that the parties are free to marry again if they want to.

Those documents don't mean anything to me, but if I'm honest, govt. documents don't either, except insofar as they give you benefits, like spousal deductions on taxes, health insurance, etc. I really think a person's identity and commitments are private, and no business of either religion or government!

Towards the end of my religious beliefs, I still went to communion, even though I was divorced.  I never really took the time to ask is I was 'permitted' to take communion and didn't really care.  I didn't consider it a sin, since I didn't believe.  I knew no harm would come from that act.  The last few times I went to mass with my boyfriend, I didn't bother to go to communion.  It meant nothing to me.  Now, I will not step foot in a church, unless it is a wedding or funeral.  

These were very entertaining to watch over the summer at Lake Hypatia.

RSS

About

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

Nexus on Social Media:

© 2019   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: The Nexus Group.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service