Ever wanted to know what it’s like to be in the Navy? (1989)
Shipboard Life Simulation at Home (pick from the list randomly) for 4 years.
1. Buy a steel dumpster, paint it gray inside and out, and live in it for six months.
2. Run all the pipes and wires in your house exposed on the walls.
3. Repaint your entire house every month.
4. Renovate your bathroom. Build a wall across the middle of the bathtub and move the shower head to chest level. When you take showers, make sure you turn off the water while you soap down. (Have someone flush the toilet several times for optimum effects)
5. Put lube oil in your humidifier and set it on high.
6. Once a week, blow compressed air up your Chimney, making sure the wind carries the soot onto your neighbor's house. Ignore his complaints.
7. Once a month, take all major appliances apart and then reassemble them. Throw away any spare parts then buy more.
8. Raise the thresholds and lower the headers of your front and back doors so that you either trip or bang your head every time you pass through them.
9. Disassemble and inspect your lawnmower every week. (Initial and tag it)
10. On Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, turn your water heater temperature up to 200 degrees. On Tuesdays and Thursdays, turn the water heater off. On Saturdays and Sundays tell your family they use too much water during the week, so no bathing will be allowed.
11. Raise your bed to within 10 inches of the ceiling, so you can't turn over without getting out and then getting back in or sleep on the shelf in your closet. Replace the closet door with a curtain. Have your spouse whip open the curtain about 3 hours after you go to sleep, shine a flashlight in your eyes and say "Sorry, wrong rack."
13. Make your family qualify to operate each appliance in your house – Dishwasher-Operator, Toaster -Technician, etc.
14. Have your neighbor come over each day at 5 AM, blow a whistle so loud Helen Keller could hear it, and shout "Reveille, Reveille, all hands heave out and trice up."
15. Have your mother-in-law write down everything she's going to do the following day, then have her make you stand in your back yard at 6 AM while she reads it to you.
16. Submit a request chit to your father-in-law requesting permission to leave your house before 3 PM.
17. Empty all the garbage bins in your house and sweep the driveway three times a day, whether it needs it or not. Beforehand announce "Now Sweepers, Sweepers, man your brooms, give the ship a clean sweep down fore and aft empty all trash cans over the fantail (deck)."
18. Have your neighbor collect all your mail for a month, read your magazines and randomly lose every 5th item before delivering it to you.
19. Watch no TV except for very old movies played in the middle of the night. Have your family vote on which movie to watch, and then show a different one.
20. When your children are in bed, run into their room with a megaphone shouting that your home is under attack and ordering them to their battle stations by yelling over and over again, "General quarters, General quarters, all hands man your battle stations."
21. Make your family menu a month ahead of time without consulting the pantry or refrigerator.
22. Post a daily menu on the kitchen door informing your family that they are having steak for dinner. Then make them wait in line for an hour. When they finally get to the kitchen, tell them you are out of steak, but they can have dried ham or hot dogs. Repeat daily until they ignore the menu and just ask for hot dogs.
23. Bake a cake. Prop up one side of the pan so the cake bakes unevenly. Spread icing real thick to level it off.
24. Get up every night around midnight and have a peanut butter sandwich on stale bread.
25. Set your alarm clock to go off at random during the night. At the alarm, jump up and dress as fast as you can, making sure to button your top shirt button and tuck your pants into your socks. Run out into the backyard and uncoil the garden hose. (Standby until given the all clear)
26. Every week or so, throw your cat or dog in the pool and shout over and over again ” Man overboard Man overboard port side." Rate your family members on how they respond.
27. Put the headphones from your stereo on your head, but don't plug them in. Hang a paper cup around your neck on a string. Stand in front of the stove, and speak into the paper cup "Stove manned and ready." After an hour or so, speak into the cup again "Stove secured." Roll up the headphones and paper cup and stow them in a shoe box.
28. Place a podium at the end of your driveway. Have your family stand watches at the podium, rotating at 4 hour intervals. This is best done when the weather is the worst. January is a good time.
29. When a thunderstorm is in your area, get a wobbly rocking chair, sit in it and rock as hard as you can until you become nauseous. Make sure to have a supply of stale crackers in your shirt pocket.
30. For former Engineers, bring your lawn mower into the living room, and run it all day long.
31. Make coffee using eighteen scoops of budget priced coffee grounds per pot. Allow the pot to simmer 5 hours before drinking.
32. Have someone under the age of ten give you a haircut with sheep shears.
33. Sew the back pockets of your jeans on the front.
34. Every weekend when not on duty, dress up in your best clothes. Take a taxi to the scariest part of town. Find the most rundown trashiest bar. Drink beer until you are hammered. Walk all the way home.
35. Stock up on supplies and lock yourself and your family in the house for six weeks. Tell them that at the end of the 6th week you are going to take them to Disney World for "liberty." At the end of the 6th week, inform them the trip to Disney World has been canceled because they need to get ready for an inspection, and it will be another week before they can leave the house.
36. Buy a World War II gas mask. Using steel wool, scratch up the visor until you can no longer see out of it.
37. Do not ever, ever wash your coffee cup.
38. Have all your wisdom teeth removed.
39. If your kids are sick and don’t want to go to school, have them sit on hard bench for hours then give them Motrin and tell them to go to school.
40. If the kids are using unauthorized electronics in the house, cut off the end of the power cable.
41. When smoking, everyone is required to light up at the same time.
42. Arm one of the kids with a pellet gun and have them walk around the house and report ‘all secure” to you every 15 minutes for 4 hours every 4 days.
43. Once a year, have a shellback initiation. That morning make someone wear their clothes inside out, force them crawl around on their hand and knees all day, everyone else gets to beat them with fire hoses, and smear rancid peanut butter with hot sauce all over their face. Make up other harmless tortures and have fun
44. Have the kids and spouse salute you every time you walk by. Salute back.
45. In the morning there must be at least two people brushing their teeth at the same time at one sink. Remember to turn off the spigot between spits.
46. At four in the morning, go stand next to someone in bed, turn on a hair dryer, spray on deodorant and or use hairspray.
47. Replace all the bedding with wool blankets.
48. Have someone stand mail buoy watch once a week.
49. Remind the family they can’t quit, they are property of the United States.
50, If you happen to overhear someone speaking in a foreign language, tell them to learn English.
Sure do miss my time in the Navy (not really) Now, I’m having flashbacks.
Please, anyone add to this list, I find it quite amusing.