I hope to organize a Christian / Atheist beer night some time in April or May. We did this a few months ago and everyone in both camps had a great time. Instead of continuing with the exact same format, I thought it might be good to merge it with my latest hare-brained idea - inviting a local pastor to participate. Another difference would be to waive the one-Christian-per-atheist rule that I had last time.

For the next few weeks, I'll be trying to get a feel for how many people might be coming. Then I'll hunt for a venue. My only rules are - it's gotta have beer, it's gotta have food, and it's gotta be quiet enough that we can hear people talk.

Y'all let me know if you're interested in coming. It will probably be on a Monday or Tuesday night to make it easier to get a preacher to come but that could easily change. And let me know if you'd like to help with the planning. I'm not too good at this.

Views: 58

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Mark,
This is a great idea. I really enjoyed the last one we had. I'll try to think of a suitable meeting place. Thanks for organizing this.
Hello Mark and all North Texas Atheists,
Mark, thanks for organizing this. Once we get the details of the time and place, I'd like to encourage as many North Texas atheists as possible to make it to this Christian/Atheist meetup. The last one of these that we had was a blast. For example, it's a great opportunity to try your hand at debating genuine Christians, if you like that sort of thing. Also, there's just plain old talking, too. It's our chance to show Christians what real-life atheists are like. I must warn you, however, that Christians are surprisingly unreceptive to some or our tastiest baby recipes! Go figure...

Anyway, if you can make it, I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Later,
Don
I'm out on this one. Already know more xtians than I care too. One is too many in my honest opinion.
I have a guest lined up for a mid-month meetup. Once his schedule is confirmed, I'll let everyone know who it is and do all of the announcements.

If all goes according to plan, we'll be meeting on Thursday, April 16, at 8:00 pm at the usual place. Anyone who has ever come to a Frisco Atheists meeting is invited to come. Also, I'm thinking we should open this up to the list of atheists that have asked about our meetup and possibly to believers that frequent the FOL Philosophy and Theology Forum. If we open this up to FOL believers also, I'd like to require RSVPs so I'll know if I need to reserve a bigger table; the owner of 2Brothers told me we could have the giant curved sofa in the back of the store with a little notice.

If you haven't already told me, let me know if you're thinking about coming. I should be making official announcements soon.
Hi Mark,
There are some shake-ups going on in my life right now, but I should be able to make the this meetup. Thanks for scheduling it on a Thursday.

Clear skies,
Don
I have not heard back from the pastor yet, but I don't think that it means he cannot come. Please try to make this meeting if you can. I think it will be a lot of fun and very good for PR for atheists.

If you're not watching the blogs, I put out a post about this. Take a look if you think you might be able to come.

NexuxBlog-meet the pastor
Hi Mark,
Good luck with the meetup tonight. I really wish I could have been there. I'd love to be in on a bridge-building discussion between a pastor and atheists. I hope it goes well enough that everyone wants to do it again.

We are having a good time here in Hot Springs. We're still on the fence concerning taking a bath at one of the bath houses. We just got back from the local botanical gardens and that was very pretty.

Later,
Don

RSS

© 2019   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: The Nexus Group.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service