L.A. Pride parade morphs into #ResistMarch, as tens of thousands hi...

The Pride Parade became a resistance march. (link is to a video)

From the first parade in 1970 — which the city’s Police Commission tried to stop, warning that participants could be assaulted — it evolved into a colorful, festive event that celebrated the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer communities.

But on Sunday, the parade was replaced with what can best be described as a symbol of the Trump era — a protest march, complete with a hashtag in its name: the #ResistMarch.

“This year, the LGBTQ community is lending our iconic rainbow flag to anyone who feels like their rights are under threat and to anyone who feels like America’s strength is its diversity,” said Brian Pendleton, who organized the march. “The political climate we find ourselves in has driven us to galvanize and unite.”

Views: 27

Replies to This Discussion

I'm an SWM whose gay cousin died of AIDS and enjoyed walking in several Pride Parades in SF. I liked best the one when the Gay Men's Chorus followed us.

The early parades and those during the AIDS crisis were protests. We all need to know how to protest and maybe often do so.
A close member of my family is gay, and I could not be more supportive of the LGBTQ movement. Last year she married the love of her life and I treasure the diversity that my family has gained as a result. Haters and religious nut jobs have been emboldened by the (perhaps illegitimate) election of the most despicable individual in our history to gain the office of president. I am encouraged by those who speak out for civility and decency. I think the old guard is losing, but not nearly fast enough.

RSS

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2017   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service