Page 1 of 1

Victoria Jackson Defends Glee Slam

Victoria JacksonShowbizTonightx390 (Screengrab) | Advocate.com

Former Saturday Night Live star turned conservative activist Victoria Jackson appeared on Showbiz Tonight to defend her opinion that the kiss between Glee characters Kurt and Blaine was “sickening.”

Last week Jackson slammed the kiss in a column for WorldNetDaily, where she said Glee “made a mockery of Christians.” On Monday she appealed to religion once again when asked to clarify her position on Headline News.

The Huffington Post reports that Jackson said, “Well, it doesn't matter what I think. What matters is what the Bible says. And I'm really concerned about our country because immorality is, well, let's see: Secular humanism rules the airwaves, and it's stealing the innocence away from this whole generation of children. My daughter is a teenager and I can’t find any show that she can watch.”

Asked whether she is homophobic, Jackson replied, “That's a cute little buzzword of the liberal agenda. Basically, the Bible says that homosexuality is a sin.”

As the segment closed, Jackson said that she has gay friends.

Views: 164

Replies to This Discussion

Well, yeah, but if the tribe actually kinda liked the person being stoned, they might just throw pebbles at the miscreant. Nothing has changed.  Today, those accused of murder have about a 75% better chance of beating the rap if they are rich and white of skin.
@Scott: Hear!  Hear!  My sentiments exactly.
No, no, it says nothing.  In fact, I would wager that use of a sock invalidates the "shall not suffer a faggot to live" language in the O.T.  Then it prescribes stoning, the capital punishment of its day and basis of much modern law, at least in practice.  That is, today in the U.S. the O.T. law of an eye for an eye is very much in practice.  How anyone can profess Crustianity and claim that the prophet Jebus said it was OK to sit around on your hands while the State takes someone's life is just beyond me.  I guess I did not read the same Booble. After all, there are so many translations and so many editions and so many emendations and mistranslations and fraudulent translations.  Why, the great Robert Anton Wilson says it best when it points out that the Booble was written in Greek, and Koine Greek at that. Koine had no punctuation, such that "God is now here" could just as easily be "God is Nowhere."  Which is my whole point.

I wonder if it's so much "the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness" as it is an excuse for one group of people to look down their noses at another group of people.  There's also the matter of their feeling justified in saying, "we're righteous and you're not" [shades of Chevy Chase 35 years ago!] as well.  Maybe I should throw in what Bob Heinlein said about pink monkeys in a cage with brown ones, too, 'cuz it sure feels like its on point.

[Loren shakes his head and sighs.]

It is also the search for a moral justification for arrogance.  I've never met a hard-core conservative that didn't believe that he was morally superior.  And that whatever he believes is true.  If it weren't true, he wouldn't believe in it.

There isn't one in a hundred that can understand the logical fallacy in that one, because their arrogance has blinded them to it.  They have found their moral justification for arrogance - it is a sense of self importance, deriving from their sense of self priority.

I think she's just pissed off because her gay best friend was so disappointing.

@Loren, don't you think that Heinlein was, at times, a shitty writer?  I had heard good things about one of his books, ordered it, and was shocked at how bad the writing was, Farnham's Freehold it was.  But along with Bradbury, Clarke, Dick, and a few others, he seems to have been one of the great philosophers of SciFi.  It is kind of hard to imagine a Science Fiction writer who professes belief in Yahweh Jehovah Cat.  When is someone going to adapt V.A.L.I.S. for film?

Heinlein had his off days like everyone else, and Farnham's Freehold was clearly an off day for him.  But as regards the issue of tolerating differences and the pink monkey / brown monkey dichotomy (as stated in Stranger in a Strange Land), I think he was utterly on the button.  There are an extraordinary number of people on this planet who don't tolerate differences in others worth a good damn and would have the world conform to them, were it possible.

So what is V.A.L.I.S.?!?  The one I'm waiting to see on the big screen is The Star Beast, myself.  For all the "boy and his aliean" stories, THAT one hasn't been done, and the twist Bob puts to it I think makes it worthy of consideration.

Valis is part of a trilogy of novels by Phil Dick.  Can you imagine naming a character "Horselover Fats," which is Philip in Greek. I highly recommend it, along with the other two books that have thematic links.  Valis is the only novel I have heard of that incorporates Gnostic ideas. But his gnosticism is not Crustian as was, for example, the gnosticism of Valentinus, but cosmic.  But it is difficult to put into words the experience of reading the book.  There is a craze on now to adopt Dick into movies, but I cannot see how they could do it with Valis.

RSS

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2017   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service