We are consideting buying a geodesic dome greenhouse kit.  I looked for that as a topic here and could not find it.  Mostly, it's questions for Joan although anyone with knowledge can chime in or discuss.  Please do!

Joan, you seem happy with your greenhouse.  Would you go wth the same company again?

What company?

Did you need a builders permit?

Are there problems with it?

What to you use for heat, if anything?

Do you get greens or vegetables mid winter?

Does it overheat in summer?

Any problems with plant disease or bugs?

What plants do well?  Which ones dont?

Was it hard to put together?

Thank you for any input!

Views: 24

Replies to This Discussion

Joan, you seem happy with your greenhouse.  Would you go wth the same company again?

Yes! if one has the budget for it. There are cheeper geodesic domes on the market but not nearly as nice. 

What company?

Growing Spaces® Geodesic Growing Dome® for Year Round Gardening

Did you need a builders permit?

Not in the country, we live 15 miles out of town. 

Are there problems with it?

in our USDA Zone 6A we can grow 8-months a year. We shut down in Nov and open in March

What to you use for heat, if anything?

The solar heat and water tank are not enough to keep our greenhouse from freezing. We installed two large batteries to store solar heat, but even that could not keep it above freezing. We tried propane but it was too expensive for what we got in growing time. 

Do you get greens or vegetables mid winter?

Only kale, but it is bitter and tough. 

Does it overheat in summer?

Yes! We bring in fans, use a shade cloth on the south half of the dome. 

Any problems with plant disease or bugs?

I had to learn how to manage fungi; that is easy if you follow protocols. We have toads from our garden that like the greenhouse. I use Edible diatomatious earth as a preventive treatment and if I see any problems coming. I have seen no evidence of aphids, yet. No Downy Mildew. I use Insect & Pest Control from Gardens Alive. 

What plants do well?  Which ones dont?

Do well: spinach, lettuce, tomatoes, garlic, potatoes, dill, flat leaf Italian parsley, sage, beets, beans, radishes, 

Don't do well: brassicas, onions, I don't use the space for vining crops, i.e. squash

Was it hard to put together?

L&L hired carpenters to build it  They seemed to have no problems. It was like putting a puzzle together. 

Thank you for any input!

You are welcome.

RSS

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2017   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service