My first post in gardening.

A year ago, we just got this first new home and it is about 2.5 acres. I love trees, especially older trees. We have a few trees but want to plant more trees and my boys love the willow trees. The local Lowes sell Willows for 50.0 dollars each, 5 gallons size. Cost too much for our budget. Eventually I will use these tree branched to make rustic furnitures. However, after researching on line one article say that a willow branch can be cut off, the bottom third stripped of bark and then planted and will grow.

I am skeptical of this and if anyone can enlighten me on this I'd appreciate it.

Views: 198

Replies to This Discussion

As far as I know willows propagate by broken branches floating downstream and taking root.

Just remember their roots can infiltrate water mains, when you decide where to plant.You might want to start seedlings from branches in pots, so they're easy to water and protect until they take hold.

How to Start Willow Cuttings

I've seen a willow branch cut off and pushed deep into the mud - it works! Water thoroughly!

It's mostly done in spring when the willows are pollarded, but you could try it now too.

If you have a free source of willow branches, you could try now and again in early Spring. If you do it now, I would cut off about the top 1/3 to remove leaves and weak growth, which will wilt and die.

Willows also root in water. just cut branches and put them in a bucket with the bottom 1/3 in water and leave them out of the sun, They should grow sone roots during the next month or two. Then plant them in the soil. If you leave them too long, the roots will be tangle sped together and break off.

Just ask a neighbor with willows if you may cut a few little branches off. Many trees even shed small living branches naturally, such as during a storm.

We planted a hedge of willow at the edge of our property. To do that, we pruned a willow tree, taking off branches about 2 to 3 feet long, as thick as a pencil to finger thick. We pushed them into the soft ground in late winter / early spring. We did not strip off the bark. I think every branch grew. The first year, growth was about one foot. The second year they grew about 2 feet. Our area is wet during Spring, so we did not water them. Deer do eat willow so that was an issue. Our summers are dry, and that probably limited them but did not kill them.
This is the easiest thing I've ever started. Even without stripping the bark. I've started, roughly, twenty this way. I've never had one to fail. The reson may be that I've usually started them in low ground that tends to hold water longer than the rest of the yard. The ones I started on higher ground I put in during the rain season. The first one's looked dead going into spring but I just left them alone and they came out of it.
Could be our climate but I've started lots of things by just pushing a small branch into the ground and leaving it a couple years. Weird,huh?
Sounds perfect. But do be careful that they are not near the septic lines. They can cause some serious problems.
If you know anyone who has willow they will probably be happy to give you a few starter limbs. I would try starting other things the same way. I've had wisteria, wigelia, forsythia and other things start from bare limbs. Without the rooting hormone that most call for.

RSS

About

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

Nexus on Social Media:

© 2019   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: The Nexus Group.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service