Godless in the garden


Godless in the garden

Welcome to gardeners, growers of veggies, fruits, flowers, and trees, backyard hen enthusiasts, worm farmers, & composters!

Location: Planet Earth
Members: 180
Latest Activity: 12 hours ago

Welcome to Eden!

If you like to dig in the dirt, grow flowers, putter around the yard, dig in the kitchen garden, raise backyard hens, or just like daydreaming about the garden, this is the place.

Many topics have been discussed in the archive.  Revive a topic by adding your 2¢ or start a new topic.

Everyone likes photos of the garden, so if you like to share photos of your prize dahlia, your favorite hen, or your first tomato, go right ahead!

Comment Wall


You need to be a member of Godless in the garden to add comments!

Comment by Patricia on September 24, 2017 at 9:15pm

They look like fancy vases, Daniel.

Comment by Daniel W on September 24, 2017 at 9:12pm

Some figs from the yard, just harvested now.

Comment by Daniel W on September 24, 2017 at 8:45pm

These gourds were grown in 2016, and brought into the house to dry out.  At first, they got kind of gross looking with some mold, but then they dried out and became very light and hollow.  Now I'm sanding them with #220 sandpaper, and giving a coat of polyurethane.  Don't ask why, I just thought it was interesting.  The colors and patterns are like granite, or wood.  Kind of fun.  I used oil based polyurethane, because I didn't know if the water in water-based would soak into the dried gourds.  Satin finish, I don't like too shiny.  Now I want to grow more next year.

Trees I planted Spring 2016.  These are naturally occurring hybrids of Nootka cypress with Monterey Cypress.  They grow fast!  They only came up to my belt when I planted them last year.  We wanted a fast growing privacy screen at the forest edge, and I think these will do the job.

Comment by Thomas Murray on September 24, 2017 at 5:06pm

... a gem from our friend Thomas Edison on failing...

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. " Thomas A. Edison

Comment by Daniel W on September 24, 2017 at 3:57pm

Randy, I don't think you are boasting at all!  You are just talking about what you enjoy.  I sure enjoy reading about your efforts, successes, inspirations!  How are your persimmons doing?

I also hope my blathering doesnt seem like bragging either.  I just go on and on about it, because I dont have other friends to talk about it with, and it's my favorite thing. 

Today so far I wore myself out.  Two more leaning trees are now cut up for firewood.  Two more to go.  Will be so glad that's done.  Worked on that all Summer, after clearing blackberry brambles there for 2 years.  I did move that little chestnut tree.  Not sure it will make it, but at least I tried. 

I have many more failures than successes.  That's OK, I figure if I fail 80% of the time, that remaining 20% is what I remember.

Comment by Thomas Murray on September 24, 2017 at 3:16pm


 Is it wrong to boast of one's own accomplishments?

The way I see it, Trump boasts himself as if he was a God, or holier than thou, or can't do wrong, and I don't see you doing those things.

Comment by Patricia on September 24, 2017 at 1:38pm

I have never noticed any bragging here from anyone.

Comment by Joan Denoo on September 24, 2017 at 1:27pm

Randy, I don't read you as "boasting" but you share with others who love gardening. 

Comment by Idaho Spud on September 24, 2017 at 12:30pm

Randy, you don't sound like you're boasting when you talk about your garden or show pictures of it.

Comment by Randall Smith on September 24, 2017 at 6:50am

Daniel, you've encouraged me to continue posting here. I sometimes feel I'm boasting when I talk about my yard and garden (despite envy of yours). Not everybody is so lucky to have space and time to work in a garden. I certainly enjoy your photos and reading about your progress. I may have to invite myself out to see everything first hand! Keep those post a-coming.


Members (180)



Update Your Membership :




Nexus on Social Media:


© 2017   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service