The World's Largest Coalition of Nontheists and Nontheist Communities!
Discussing all aspect of gardening.
Location: Planet Earth
Latest Activity: Feb 5
Transfer to a new blog hosting website.
13. Be sure to read Loam Gnome's comment to get further information.
Spud, how is your kohlrabi doing?
12. For snails and slugs, I use an organic pellet product that works great. Ferric phosphate, nontoxic to other creatures.
~ Loam Gnome, thanks.
Randy, your pest problems seem dreadful. I forgot to mention
11. Cover beds with tunnels of sheer cloth
I hope it helps.
If I see a slug problem again, I'll try Ferric Phosphate.
There've been lots of white butterflies sniffing out my kohlrabi plant. I've brushed off their eggs every 2 or 3 days except for the last week, when I've been busy elsewhere. I'll have to go out tomorrow & see what the damage is.
Thanks, Joan. I try not to have use pesticides, but it's a losing battle. My collards and kale are nothing but "ribs". Fortunately, caterpillars don't seem to go for Swiss chard, my favorite "green".
Alternatives to using pesticides:
1. Spray plants with water to wash pests off.
2. Pick pest off and squash or discard in garbage.
3. Dust affected plants with edible diatomaceous earth.
4. Get ducks or chickens, they eat all kinds of pests & give eggs.
5. Use pyrethrin, a natural pesticide.
6. Do not over water!
7. Use a soaker hose or other methods of watering that does not put water on leaves.
8. Build healthy soils.
9. Use mulch & compost to hold moisture. Do not overwater!
10. Trap slugs & snails using beer, or a yeasty brew in a tin can sunk into the ground with the rim at the level of the ground. Sl;ugs & snails crawl into the can and can't get out.
Tell us other things you do to get rid of pests without using pesticides.
Be careful of online pesticides!
Both pesticide manufacturers and anti-pesticide campaigners have voiced alarm about the unrestricted sale of super-strong pesticides to unqualified buyers in online marketplaces.So-called ‘professional pesticide products’ – aimed at farmers and groundskeepers – contain chemicals in concentrations that cannot legally be used by anyone untrained in their safe use. But there is no law against selling these products to unqualified buyers.
So-called ‘professional pesticide products’ – aimed at farmers and groundskeepers – contain chemicals in concentrations that cannot legally be used by anyone untrained in their safe use. But there is no law against selling these products to unqualified buyers.
Industrial-strength weedkillers marketed to amateurs on eBay, chemi...
They are small Daniel, but very tasty, sweet, & juicy.
They are good, very juicy.
Oh, yummy melons.
Welcome toAtheist Nexus
Sign Upor Sign In
Or sign in with:
Update Your Membership :
Nexus on Social Media:
© 2020 Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: The Nexus Group.
Report an Issue |
Terms of Service
Please check your browser settings or contact your system administrator.