The World's Largest Coalition of Nontheists and Nontheist Communities!
Discussing all aspect of gardening.
Location: Planet Earth
Latest Activity: Jan 16
The ducks have a new yard, my future tomato and bean garden. 12.22.17
Kathy, I didn't know about your husband, and am sad for you.
Sounds like you have a mushroom paradise.
On dog's. Our Boston terrier took to sleeping with my husband during his final days. When she thought I should check on him I would hear her jump down from the bed. She would come to the living room where I was sitting and look at me. Walk back to the bedroom door, turn and look at me. She would continue the same thing until I soothed her by going into the bedroom and checking on him. I believe she was just confused about why he wasn't getting up as early as usual.
During the final day she went under his bed and wouldn't come out. I had to pull her out at the end.
For those who don't know he died of liver cancer on Nov 19 at home with us. I know I have everyone's sympathy so thanks in advance.
My gson and I were walking over the property and we saw about twenty different types of mushroom. One was a brilliant blue. They grow where old trees were standing at one time. I took a lot of photos but can't post them from this POS.
Daniel, I studied your "Watercolours" picture for a long time. Very interesting, not that I understand what I'm seeing.
Joan, I loved your dog partner story. With my dog (Dot), I can relate. I've had her for over 3 years and have become quite attached.
Today will be the last day of nice, warm (50's) temps for the foreseeable future. The garden is ready for a long dormancy except for some carrots and B sprouts. Nighty night.
Randy, I won't wait to see what you find out about mushrooms when you reach 100!
Both my mother and father had hallucinations near the ends of their lives so perhaps I am destined to create imaginary fires or running water in the house. Such fabrications were quite unsettling to my kids when they witnessed their Granny and Grandad going through this phase, requiring a steady hand on the wheel as their lives approached death.
I am open to new experiences, however, I rather they be the kinds that make others laugh with me, not at me.
Speaking of laughing, the other morning I got up, dressed, put my shoes on and Dominic lay quietly watching. Today, I went through the same routine but he sensed that we were goihng to the greenhouse and compost pile. He performed his chin-up giving off a howl and then kind of a purr. He pranced back and forth between me and keys and the compost bucket. He gets so excited that we all laugh. There is no calming him down.
He lays beside me as I read my mail and a book. About an hour ago, I asked him if he wanted to go outside for his nighly pee. He just looked at me with his sleepy eyes, indicating he had no interest in such an activity. Just a minute ago, he rose up from his bed, shook his head so that his ears made a flapping sound. I said, "Show me" as he has trained me to do, and he went to the door. He doesn't know how to open the door going out, but he does open the door coming in, so he stays out sniffing the night air and listening for the forest night life, then he opens the door and comes in to a good night's sleep.
It is nice to have a dog that trains me so well.
Deniel, reading your Growing Greener blog gave me some ideas for my avocodo tree.
Your 1/2" hardware cloth sleeve to deter mice is a great idea.
I've not put any wood chips around the tree yet because I don't want to make a hiding place for mice, but with the sleeve, it may not be a problem.
I plan on putting compost around it, as soon as my ambition lets me.
Until late in life, my father could not eat morels, as they would upset his stomach. I'm not sure if he was drinking wine at the same time.
Daniel, pretty impressive. I think "anticipation" is unrecognized in living a long and fruitful life (excuse the pun). I'm forever planning for my "tomorrows"--what to eat, where to go, what to do, what to plant, etc. At least, that's my secret.
Even morels can be dangerous. According to Wikipedia, "
Morchella species contain small amounts of hydrazine toxins that are destroyed through cooking; because of this, morels should never be eaten raw. It has been reported that even cooked morels can sometimes cause symptoms of upset stomach when consumed with alcohol.
When eating this fungus for the first time it is wise to consume a small amount to minimize any allergic reaction. As with all fungi, morels for consumption must be clean and free of decay. Morels growing in old apple orchards that had been treated with the insecticide lead arsenate may accumulate levels of toxic leadand arsenic that are unsuitable for human consumption."
I think you're all right about not wanting to take a chance with mushrooms. I do remember reading some books many years ago that said some that were safe for most people, still gave harm to some. I read the same warnings today.
I'm probably not missing much by not trying any wild ones. The 3 kinds I find in stores don't taste nearly as good as they did in my younger days, so I don't buy them anymore.
About the only one I'd like to try now is the morel, because I hear the taste bragged about so much.
Perhaps when I reach 100, and I don't wish to live any longer, I'll "experiment" with some questionable mushrooms. I'll let you know the results!
Welcome toAtheist Nexus
Sign Upor Sign In
Or sign in with:
Update Your Membership :
Nexus on Social Media:
© 2018 Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.
Report an Issue |
Terms of Service
Please check your browser settings or contact your system administrator.