Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez may not be an atheist, but as it comes to the issue of State / Church separation, she has just surprised the daylights out of me (most pleasantly!) with a very powerful statement she has recently made regarding the behavior of the current administration in its weaponization of the bible in the service of exclusivism and exclusionism.  Per usual, AOC minces no words and pulls no punches in making her position crystalline clear.  That being the case, I thought her peroration deserved the attention of those here assembled.

Ms. Ocasio-Cortez, the floor is yours.

Views: 43

Replies to This Discussion

Impressive! Thanks for sharing, Loren.

"Religious freedom" in politics has indeed overwhelmingly flipped meaning from, once upon a time, meaning the freedom to believe and practice as you wish, to, now, being weaponized in the service of bigotry, in the service of the freedom to force others to believe and practice as you wish. (And others can suffer and literally die.)

Anyway, as a humanist, I'll heartily echo what the honorable Congresswoman said:

"It is not up to us to deny medical care.
It is up to us to feed the hungry, to clothe the poor, to protect children, and to love all people as ourselves."

(And I understand there are cultural Christians who promote the best of the teachings attributed to Jesus, without needing him to have been anything more than human.)

My only problem with this video is there's no proof a Jesus Christ ever existed. Not only the most prominent historians of the time mention him. Other than that, it's one of the more articulate arguments I've heard made against "religious freedom."

Oh, I'm pretty much a mythicist, myself, though not as well informed as someone like Richard Carrier or Robert M. Price is.  That said, I think having allies like Ms. Ocasio-Cortez supporting State / Church separation AND calling out right-wing Republicans on their bigotry is an important consideration.  Most of the time, moderate Christians tend not to be very vocal and get overwhelmed by the more extremists among them.  As we have seen over the past not quite two years, AOC is ANYTHING but soft-spoken, and I for one am very glad she is among our troops!

Such people make me feel a lot better about mankind

RSS

About

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

Nexus on Social Media:

© 2020   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: The Nexus Group.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service