The following is one of TheraminTrees' most thorough-going pieces, wherein he looks at the process and techniques whereby a "religious" organization (which will sound VERY familiar to most of us, once introductions are made!) takes a person who thinks s/he cannot be manipulated and does their number all over that person.  It's rather reminiscent of the old business about a frog and hot water.  Mr. Ribbit will jump out of the hot water, but if the temp is raised S-L-O-W-L-Y, he'll stay put ... to his detriment.  This process is what TT spells out in thoughtful detail.

Please enjoy.

Views: 678

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks, Grinning Cat. This process will provide more flexibility for me. I wonder if there is a way to get a transcript? I especially like reading the transcript of Democracy Now. 

The strategy I use now is to Google the author who discusses something of interest to me and search for articles he or she posted.  

Caveat about listentoyoutube.com: occasionally clicking on "click here to get your download link" (using Chrome) gives a new tab offering to install some suspicious "search helper" or other browser extension. If that happens, close it and try again. Better to run a browser like Firefox with an ad blocker (like Adblock Plus) and a script blocker (like NoScript).

Excellent video! Made it much clearer to me how I escaped.

I'd be interested in your insight about escaping from theism.

I noticed when very young that the stories I was taught didn't cut wood - or am I translating a Dutch expression literally? I wasn't loyal to my parents because they weren't loyal to me, so I didn't buy their religion.

"Cut wood" isn't common, but I think the meaning still gets across.  "Cut the mustard" is similar here in the US.

Thanks Loren!

Thanks for sharing your persective, Plinius. I wish all young children were so perceptive.

This is one that has a great interest for me. In many ways, it ties too captive audiences of children and parents. It also ties to charismatic leaders being able to override "common sense" by taking people away from familiar surrounds and exposing them to constant rhetoric to teach lessons that have no basis in reality, material that would be considered silly outside of a closed environment such as a child's home. Yet, the hucksters of religion manage to ooze into the flock and eventually fleece them and cause much pain when congregants find they have been duped and conned.

Fleecing the Flock!

What a perfect icon to sum up the economics and power relations of religion. Thanks, Joan.

Someone pointed out that shepherds don't take care of their sheep just because they like them; "they'll fleece them, fuck them, or eat them."

RSS

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2017   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service