They Were Homeless In California. Then The Fires Came.

"The historic fires, which swept through Sonoma and nearby counties in Northern California’s wine country in early October, have killed at least 40 people, forced more than 100,000 people to evacuate and destroyed thousands of homes and businesses. In Santa Rosa, the largest city in the region and one of the hardest-hit areas, entire neighborhoods have disappeared."

Chris has kept us up to date on his experience, and the news reports confirm his experiences.  It is hard to believe that fires could be so widespread and so devastating. Joblessness, homelessness, and now fires add to the misery.

If there are any deniers of climate change, undoubtedly these events will cause them to pause and reconsider. There is no benefit in blaming anyone or any sector of the economy; we are all in this, and we had better look at what happens, why it happens, and what remedies exist.  

I can say it is time we get off fossil fuels and turn to sustainable energy sources. It appears to me to put more CO2 into the atmosphere is just plain stupid. I can't think of a kinder word to use. 

Job opportunities exist for inventing, creating, and manufacturing sun energy, or from heat generated deep within the earth. Included in the definition is electricity and heat generated from solar, wind, ocean, hydropower, biomass, geothermal resources, and biofuels and hydrogen derived from renewable resources.

Views: 13

Replies to This Discussion

Northern California May Need Years to Recover From Wildfires

"Sonoma County officials say it will take at least months and likely years to fully recover from devastating wildfires that ripped through Northern California earlier this month, destroying at least 8,900 structures and killing 42 people."

"The EPA has assessed 740 properties so far, while the Federal Emergency Management Agency has given out $6 million worth of rental and other assistance to displaced Californians, officials said. Officials estimate the cleanup of debris and other hazardous materials will last into early 2018. The losses are estimated to be at more than $1 billion."

Oct. 28, 2017, at 5:58 p.m.

RSS

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2017   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service