We've all heard about the Deep Field observations of the Hubble Space Telescope, how, almost on a whim, the device was aimed at what was thought to be an empty, unoccupied section of sky and a long time exposure was taken.  What they discovered was astonishing: galaxies, thousands of them, in that tiny patch of space, suggesting that the total number of galaxies in this universe is vastly higher than anyone had ever remotely estimated.  It was a daunting and powerful discovery, certainly to me and to many of us on A|N.

Like us, Eric Whitacre was also moved by the revelations of the Deep Field, so much so that he wanted to give a visual and musical expression to it.  This he has done with his audio-visual work, Deep Field: The Impossible Magnitude of Our Universe.  Rather than my trying to describe it further, I invite you just to enjoy it.

Views: 61

Replies to This Discussion

That would be a wow!

Totally, Patricia.  I thought it was amazing!

I'd like that as a screensaver.

"aimed at what was thought to be an empty, unoccupied section of sky and a long time exposure was taken.  What they discovered was astonishing: galaxies, thousands of the"

Well, that's disappointing.  I thought you going to say that they found Jesus ...

I like Eric’s piece too but where is that guy who long ago told me I would see the back of my head?

The James Webb Space Telescope will show us a pulled curtain at 13.8 billion years.

Beautiful work.  

Loren, I am not sure what I observed, a look at deep space from different perspectives or the telescope going to a dark place in the observable sky and with each iteration going deeper into outer space?

From one perspective, Joan.

Your each iteration metaphor is close. When they leave the camera lens open longer, the camera collects more light from the really dim stars.

With a film camera that lets you set the exposure time, if you can also hold the camera REAL STILL, you can take pictures in darker places. I’ve done it a few times.

I also once bought a roll of infrared film and took pictures of heated objects. Interesting.

RSS

© 2018   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: The Nexus Group.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service