Fukushima nuclear reactors deemed stable

The Fukushima Daiichi reactors are in “a state of cold shutdown,”...

*Big sigh of relief*

Views: 309

Replies to This Discussion

wow it seems reactor no 1 is strange. one sensor shows water at 70 degrees C, and the other two show 44. we have no info on where these sensors are located, but 70 degrees means a reaction is going on.    seems to me the almost a year after the incident, science has no idea what is going on.

all i can say is if someone is even considering a nuke in your area, agitate asgainst it. if one is being used stop it asap.

Yeah, Carl, I just read about it. Rising temperatures trigger concern at Japan's Fukushima nuclear plant

Current temperatures remain lower than the 93 degree limit that is used to define cold shutdown at a nuclear reactor, although experts warned that further problems remained likely.

"It was too early to say the plant is safe in December," Tetsuo Ito, the head of the Atomic Energy Research Institute at Kinki University in western Japan, told Bloomberg. "A similar incident will probably occur again."

This slowly unfolding disaster keeps surprising us.

Fears over radioactive gravel from Fukushima

There was a photo yesterday of cows running wild in the exclusion zone. I thought about how scavengers stripped everything that could be sold or recycled in the exclusion zone around Chernobyl and thereby scattered radioactive materials widely among an unsuspecting public. Whenever money is to be made, no matter how nasty the consequences, some will do it. I think if the authorities don't kill those animals, they'll end up in a public meat market sooner or later. The earlier beef problem was from contaminated straw outside of the zone, but these two cows were running wild in the hottest area.

I had a hateful fantasy of the men who made the decisions that lead to the Fukushima disaster eating that beef. It would be the kind of cosmic irony Hollywood would script. at least the government is now trying to buy radioactive beef and destroy it.

You'd think the public would "get" how deeply risky nuclear power is, compared to wind turbines or solar panels, by now.

the japanese public largely has. like 70 some percent want an immediate shut down. however the politicians and beurocrats in league with the power companies do not. however, in japan it wiud be hard to capture a cow and have it slaughterd without a lot of paper work.  i suppose somw\e butcher cud illegally slaughter and then prepare somw meat, but it wudent be easy.  heh they are burning this meat? what do they do with the ashes?

these kinds of staements are still being masde by scientsts. basicly its 11 months since the quake, and they have no idea whats happening, and are doing nothing to find out.

Now they're admitting that the number 2 reactor was close to meltdown, and the disaster would have been far worse if the earthquake had happened in the evening or on the weekend. So, this disaster is what good luck looks like?

Fukushima No. 2 plant was 'near meltdown'

"We were lucky it happened on a Friday afternoon [and not on a weekend]," he said.

Masuda pointed out only 40 employees would have been at the plant if the earthquake had occurred in the evening or on a weekend.

"[In that case] it would be have been difficult for us to deal with the disaster," he said.

yes, man they sure dealt with it.

the water is now at 83  degrees, over the cold shut down limit. the gov and tepco people are all shouting "that doesnt mean reaction is taking place", ok what does it mean then? are there elves down there burning wood?

Thanks for the update, Carl.

Fukushima reactor readings raise reheating concern

A 20 degree C margin of error! There's no way to know what the f**k is going on. Yeah, I'm upset.

Japan: False thermometer may be behind high readings

According to this update

The company said it has ... been analyzing gas levels within the building and says there's been no increase in radiation...

...one year on from the accident the amount of residual heat and radioactivity inside all three stricken reactors is relatively low.

"In the worst case scenario, if they were to completely lose injection and lose the cooling impact, the water in there would heat up and at some point it would begin to boil. ... but we're talking about something that would transpire in a matter of days and weeks, not in a matter of minutes and hours," ...

"The biggest real risk is that a pipe breaks and that hundreds of thousands of gallons of highly radioactive water ends up underground or ends up leeching back into the ocean or something like that. That's the real bottom line."

"The reactors are no more ... stable than they were in April of last year. They fundamentally continue to be reliant on a feed-and-bleed cooling mechanism," Friedland

TEPCO's claim that the one thermometer rising, despite increased cooling efforts which lowered the other two thermometers, probably means the thermometer is broken isn't particularly reassuring. At least we know it's not boiling yet, because we'd see steam. If recriticality were taking off, we'd also expect a detectable rise in radiation readings.

What TEPCO calls "relatively low" radiation isn't reassuring to me, when we all know it's highly radioactive. That's just double talk. They buried the admission that the reactors aren't more stable now, far down in the article. If their efforts had been effective, the reactors should be more stable by now than last April.

Some not so good news.

Could Fukushima Daiichi Be Ground Zero for the Next Big One?

There's no way to know how this elevated risk will play out, but the article only implied a 7 point earthquake with no prediction as to how soon. Sill, it's a compounding problem.

reinforcing those reactors will be hard unless they can find suicidal workers. interestingly there has been a lot of talk of fujisan blowing its top or the fault zone (trench) off shizuoka that runs down to kochi haveing a  large quake.

Now they're storing radioactive water in the sea in a floating barge. Like that's not going to breach in the first spate of bad weather.

Japan Struggles With Tainted Reactor Water

Fukushima Daiichi also has one floating container for contaminated water. "There's Megafloat,'' said Mr. Iwaki, pointing to a big, flat AstroTurf-covered barge quietly anchored in the sea by the side of reactor No. 1. The barge was originally created to be a floating fishing pier for the southwestern city of Shizuoka.

I get so angry when nuclear proponents brag that coal is so much more dangerous, based on scientific evidence. True, coal kills by contaminating the environment. But those guys always ignore Nuclear Power's long tail of destruction. That long tail is unfolding in Japan, while most of the world ignores.

Reactor two is in bad shape and may not be stable.

Japan reactor has fatally high radiation, no water

Tuesday's examination with an industrial endoscope detected radiation levels up to 10 times the fatal dose inside the chamber.

The probe also found the containment vessel — a beaker-shaped container enclosing the core — had cooling water up to only 60 centimeters (2 feet) from the bottom, far below the 10 meters (yards) estimated when the government declared the plant stable in December.

But the results don't affect the plant's "cold shutdown status" because the water temperature was about 50 degrees Celsius (122 Fahrenheit), indicating the melted fuel is cooled.

Fukushima Power Plant Damaged Worse Than Thought, New Report Says

...containing contaminated water and radiation is a challenge. Radioactive water had leaked into the ocean several times already. Workers found the fresh leak of 120 tons from a water treatment unit this week from one of its hoses, with estimated 80 liters (20 gallons) escaping into the ocean, ...

Three Dai-ichi reactors had meltdowns, but the No. 2 reactor is the only one that has been examined because radiation levels inside the reactor building are relatively low and its container is designed with a convenient slot to send in the endoscope.

What I take from this is that radiation levels "up to 10 times the fatal dose" counts as "relatively low" compared to the other two melted-down reactors. The two feet of water in reactor 2 isn't adequate, but at least it's not close to boiling.

RSS

© 2018   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: The Nexus Group.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service