Today, I heard Seth Andrews talk about the question, "If you could rid the world of one thing, what would it be?"  

My first thought was religion, but after a few seconds I decided it would be irrational or anti-scientific thinking.  That would take care of religion, "alternative" medicine, and all the other woo out there.

I think getting rid of irrational thinking would go a long way towards getting rid or hunger and disease, which was Seth's first two things.  Getting rid of irrational thinking would save all the incredible amounts of money being spent on religion, "alternative" medicine, and all the other woo out there.  It would also save a lot of time that could be put to better use.

I would also like to get rid of tyranny, which was his 4th thing.  I think my one thing would go a long way towards getting rid of that as well.  Tyrants often use religion to fire-up their supporters.  They often use emotional appeals instead of rational reasoning.

Views: 191

Replies to This Discussion

I would get rid of the universe. Space would then be at peace.

But . . . isn't space part of the universe? So you get rid of space too, and voilá, nothing would be at peace. (Same as now.)

Stuff occupies space. The universe is stuff. Ergo, the universe occupies space.

Deep subject, Spud, but I like the levity expressed in the comments! As for moi, anything with avocados is out. Cilantro, si.

Love and fear are the two motivators. So, I would get rid of fear. That way, everyone would approach every situation and every person from a place of love.

I wouldn't totally eliminate Dominator Culture, just make it only 5% and Partnership Culture 95%.

RSS

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2017   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service