I've always found the evolution of children toys as reflections of the adult culture fascinating. In my childhood , a few years after the Great Depression, (I still don't see why it was so “great”) the number one toy for a boy was a cap gun – or even better a BB gun. For girls it was dolls or some miniaturized domestic appliance. Reflecting the time when boys were suppose to be dominate and aggressive and girls passive housewives.
Over the years toys have become more complex with different purposes in child development. Some are directed toward the education or socialization of children, some develop specific skills, many are gender specific, some are just fun and a few are just plain stupid and a bit disturbing. An example of the latter is..

Maybe Pee & Poo are meant to be toilet training devices but it seems to me that a toy that personalizes bodily wastes could be traumatizing to the child when the real thing gets flushed into the abyss (my bet would be that both Pee and Poo will make it down the drain within days).
Having said that, I really, really want a Pee & Poo for my grandsons 17th birthday (he's already toilet trained....mostly)

Views: 243

Replies to This Discussion

Well, your parents saved you some heartache by not getting you a Snoopy Snow Cone Machine.  Man, what a piece of crap.
Dh bought a huge real snow cone machine that works great.  It's a little tricky washing though with all those blades.  But hey, I had Barbies, so I wasn't completely deprived.  LOL!
I had an EZ-Bake Oven.  It was also a piece of crap.
I understand they are discontinuing the Easy Bake Oven.  I didn't have one of those either.
hell i dont even know what lite brights asre

You poor soul.  You have been left behind in wonderful world of toys.  Every child needs a screen with a light bulb behind it and thousands of small colored pegs to poke into the screen:  http://www.amazon.com/Hasbro-07267-Lite-Brite-Flatscreen/dp/B0007CK... 

Luckily for me, my cousins had one.  I did not have to go entirely Lite Briteless as a small child.  I was somewhat mollified by the fact my parents did get me a spirograph (http://www.amazon.com/Cra-Z-art-12422-Spiral-Art/dp/B003U9E8QU/ref=... ) which  has tons of tiny, very sharp pins.  Nothing says love like extremely sharp, hard to see stick pins. LOL!

I had a spirograph! And a litebrite- both of which I loved. Any art-related stuff was my favorite toy. My boys have a 'travel' lite brite, but it doesn't have any designs or the black paper background. But it does have teeny tiny little pegs which makes it ideal for travelling. <eyeroll>

Hey Stephanie! You have my name. :) The Spirograph was one of my favorite toys! I wore it out! Oh the memories.

irather think if i was a young man in college id put up a sign "Fuck me, please" wait, what did i just say, um i meant let me do you.

ha ha i gess i wudent put up a sign at all

Oh cool! Light Brite -- awesome toy! I had one. Anyone play Battleship?
Of course!

For my 5th birthday, in 1966, I tried to get my parents to buy me a rifle, or more specifically. a WW2 surplus Lee Enfield .303 rifle.  I was very disappointed with the Tonka car carrier truck I got instead.

Ya, I know, I was a really fucked up kid, hell, my father wasn't even a gun nut!

RSS

About

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2018   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: The Nexus Group.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service