The only interaction I have with other atheists is online. I live in Roswell, NM and have for over seven years. The only atheist I've met is atheist-chic (a term I've invented to describe atheists who are only atheists because they think it's cool, not because they've really thought about it). But in some of my encounters, if you talk about anything else or just mess around, some flock around and act (type?) snooty and imply that you're somehow less atheist than everyone in the thread.

Anyone else get this?

Views: 236

Replies to This Discussion

Craigart - what does that mean?  Sounds like you are justifying snobbery :)

I was an angry atheist for a while. New Mexico legislature had a bill proposed, HB302 that was a repeat of Dover, Kansas, etc. Since my oldest was in life science, I freaked out because I'd actually talked to her science teacher, who flat out told me that Darwin was full of crap and that she was in favor of the legislation.

I do still tend to get angry, but have no outlet except online since, as I said, I've never met another atheist here.

Doris, are you aware of this: http://www.meetup.com/cities/us/88201/  It's a meetup scheduled for this Saturday, Sept. 1, 2012 at the Roswell Starbucks.  (Or maybe you're the one who posted this?)  If you're ever in Albuquerque on Saturday, the Humanist Society of New Mexico meets here.

Guilty as charged. Yes, Jerry. That's my group. Thank you for the invite. I sent an announcement to Randall for the newsletter when I put the meetup group together. I don't get to Albuquerque much. If I do go, though, I'll consult the newsletter and try to organize a trip around meetup dates and times.

It's very lonely here in Ros-hell. The only members of my group are my husband, and a visitor from Florida. When he's gone, it'll just be us. The other two members listed aren't local.

RSS

About

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

Latest Activity

Plinius commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
47 minutes ago
Joan Denoo commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
1 hour ago
Plinius commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
1 hour ago
Loren Miller posted a status
"About to enjoy an evening of music with Richard Starkey. "You know it don't come easy!""
6 hours ago
Loren Miller posted a status
"About to enjoy an evening of music with Richard Starkey. "You know it don't come easy!""
6 hours ago
Bertold Brautigan commented on Loren Miller's group Quotations – Momentous, Memorable, Meaningful
7 hours ago
Bertold Brautigan replied to Raine's discussion I am afraid to die. Help!
8 hours ago
Joan Denoo replied to Raine's discussion I am afraid to die. Help!
9 hours ago

© 2018   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: The Nexus Group.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service