Hello all,

I'm new here, and so hope this isn't old hat. But, I just had to point you toward a marvelous poem by William Blake in case you've never read it. Despite his sometimes heavily tinged biblical references in his other art and poetry, this one zings right to the point, at least in my universe:

The Garden of Love

For a bit of background, I stumbled upon Blake almost a half-century ago, and he really did offer a helping hand. For, as a lad of 15 I knew that I wanted nothing to do with religion, though Presbyterianism was being pressed upon me. Thinking for myself was ever my goal. Departing for college was a huge relief, not just for all the learning I anticipated, but also for what detritus I was finally able to leave behind.

In some ways, Blake was what allowed me to keep up the good fight in those early days. And this poem, for all its simplicity, is still a reminder of the evil that surrounds us.

Anyway, see what you think.

Donatien

Views: 163

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks, it's beautiful!

I love Blake and this is one of my favourites. Thanks.

I like your statement, 

Departing for college was a huge relief, not just for all the learning I anticipated, but also for what detritus I was finally able to leave behind."

You had the urge to leave behind the "detritus" much younger than I. I was 38 years old before I made the shift. I am now 80 years old and am so very happy without the threats and promises that turned out to be just bad habits carried on for centuries in my direct ancestry. I am a proud atheist and happy there are so many others who share my awareness. I am especially happy that Atheist Nexus brings us all together, from our different histories to a present that is reality based without the blinders of dogma. From this time and place, we can create an image of a preferred future. It is all trial and error, and not bound by traditions from a dark past. If we can imagine a brighter life, we can work to create it. 

Donatien, sometimes I think sociopathy is like beauty - in the eye of the beholder. To a lot of people it signifies bad behavior of the worst sort, but to some it may be the only escape route from the clutches of the hive mind.

RSS

About

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2018   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service