With a simple Google search, you can come up with a list of no kill shelthers near you, but I thought I would just post some links to a few lists.

Just a few for quick reference.

I'd also like to ask a question to the members here.

If you were to adopt a pet, would you go to a no kill shelter. Knowing that your money would go to support the shelter, and that you would be making room for another animal to come in and have a chance to be adopted.

Would you go to a pro-kill shelter, and know that you saved an animal from possibly being put down?

This is a question I've asked my self before, and I really haven't been able to come up with an answer other than 'I'll just adopt them all!', but I sadly can't aford to do that. :(

Views: 3

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for this post and for the links. I adopted my first and second dog from a city shelter without ever hearing of no-kill -- if they even had that back then. I adopted one dog from the SPCA, but without considering your question. The rest were strays or fosters I kept.
That's a tough question. I haven't adopted from a shelter before people tend to give me animals. My cat came from a litter that was going to become farm cats. My dog came from a friend who'd been given two puppies by a friend's mom that was the crazy dog lady. I think she had something like 20 small dogs, her daughter had to convince her to rehome some of them.

Still, if I were to adopt that way I think it would weigh entirely on the animal. If I found one with the right temperment to fit in with everyone else at home I don't think I'd care which shelter it came from.
I don't know if they are all the same, but a lot of no-kill shelters are very choosy about which animals they take in, taking only those that they have a good chance of finding a home for. Which is good too of course, if that makes more room at another shelter, but I think due to that I'd sooner go to a shelter where they put them to sleep, knowing I'd probably be saving its life.

Update Your Membership :

Nexus on Social Media:

© 2018   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service