The topic of charity came up at my last group meeting (Florence United Nontheists in Florence, Alabama). We want to do something charitable for the community.

=== Here are some charities we came up with ===
Habitat for Humanity
Walk-A-Mile
Donate freethought/science books to the library
Operation Foxhole Atheists donation
local battered women's shelter
Helping Hands Animal Rescue
The Community Action Agency of Northwest Alabama (similar to Meals on Wheels)
Colbert Caring Center (pays partial utilities and vouchers for prescriptions and emergency supplies)

I wanted to get some other ideas about charity and community service. What are some other good charities? I am planing to do this as a group event. I want to avoid very religious charities. These are mostly non-religious minus Habitat for Humanity.

Have you participated in any charities and had an all around positive experience?

Also, I cross posted in Alabama Atheists Group

Thank you for any feedback,
Micah Cochran
Organizer, Florence United Nontheists

Views: 3

Replies to This Discussion

I have never dealt with our local Habitat for Humanity, so I do not really know how the local office operates.

Thanks for all the charities you have listed. I will bring that back to my group.
Planned Parenthood is a good cause to support. The only problem here is that we are a pretty small town and the closest office is an hour and a half away, so some of the services aren't useful to local residents.

Many here won't drive an hour and a half for most anything. Still it is something to keep in mind and discuss.

Thanks!

RSS

About

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2018   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: The Nexus Group.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service