Mac and Cheese, I wanna make it, do you has?

I know it's bad for me, I know it'll be killing me softly with it's song, but I want to try to make my own.

I've never done it before, the few recipes I've found are too disparate for me to trust any one of them. I was wondering if any of you guys have made it before or what things I might want to add to mine when I give it a go.

Views: 40

Replies to This Discussion

I like a very simple smoky cheddar mac with ham...

make a basic bechamel (I use half-and-half instead of milk), melt in a heap of smoked cheese of yourself, toss cooked macaroni and small ham cubes with the sauce in a baking dish, top with (trust me on this) finely crushed Doritos. Bake at 350 for 30-60 minutes (depending on the size of your dish).
Try Creamy Macaroni Casserole.

This made a wonderfully creamy, light, but tasty macaroni cheese. It was easier to make, and had a better, lighter, texture than my usual method of combining cooked macaroni with a cheese sauce made with a butter and flour 'roux'.

I made the dish pretty well exactly as written. I also stirred in a can of corn. I made the macaroni and sauce well in advance up to the stage of placing the macaroni and sauce into the baking pan (I used a large, rectangular, pyrex baking dish). The sauce was quite liquid at this stage, and, as I wanted to top it with breadcrumbs and cheese, I was worried the breadcrumbs might go soggy. So, before proceeding to the topping stage, I put it into the fridge for a couple of hours and let the sauce thicken up. Then it was was easy to top it with grated cheese mixed with some breadcrumbs.

It took slightly less than the 3 cups of cheese recommended in the recipe. As a matter of personal taste, I prefer to use prepared mustard (Dijon or French) rather than mustard powder, reduce the salt to 1 teaspoon, and use a mixture of cheddar cheese and parmesan cheese. But, even without these small modifications, it's fabulous.

I should note that it also reheated well, covered, in the microwave, for lunch the next day. It also freezes well, cut into portions, and packed into ziplock bags. It reheats, covered in the microwave beautifully. I cooked it on DEFROST first and then heated it for about 3 minutes on HIGH.
use milk, soy maybe?
too much water not good

wait, wtf am I doing here?
some folks have no food!!??
I don't think that means we shouldn't enjoy ours, James - but it sure does mean we should be grateful for it, and savour it, and contribute what we can, within our means, to alleviate world hunger.
10-4

I swear I'll find my zero soon and not post such ramblings

; )
Whatever recipe you use, make sure it includes Gruyere. You won't be disappointed.

RSS

About

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

Latest Activity

© 2018   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service