http://www4.uwm.edu/FLL/linguistics/dialect/maps.html

One of the 122 questions:

105. What is your generic term for a sweetened carbonated beverage?
     a. soda (52.97%)
     b. pop (25.08%)
     c. coke (12.38%)
     d. tonic (0.67%) / e. soft drink (5.89%) / f. lemonade (0.01%) / g. cocola (0.29%) / h. fizzy drink (0.14%) / i. dope (0.03%) / j. other (2.55%)      (10669 respondents)

In another point of contention, three-quarters of respondents rhyme "aunt" with "ant", 12% use the vowels from "ah" or "caught", and a significant minority use different vowels for the general concept of an aunt and for referring to a specific person ("Aunt Sally").

A few other random questions from there:

65.What do you call the insect that flies around in the summer and has a rear section that glows in the dark?

95.What is "the City"?

121.What word do you use for gawking at someone in a lustful way?

[see them all]

Views: 335

Replies to This Discussion

A friend adopted the "ahnt" pronunciation to emphasize that his female relatives are not the insects that eat your food at picnics.

(Pic: dimus62 at flickr)

Interesting, thanks GrinninCat! After browsing about 20, I feel as if I'm firmly pinned to Eastern Pa.

I grew up on the West Coast, but my introduction to the long sandwich with cold cuts, lettuce, and so on (preferably on a hearty Amoroso's roll) was in Philadelphia, so it's called a hoagie. (Don't ask me where the word comes from!)

RSS

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

Latest Activity

Loren Miller commented on Idaho Spud's video
5 minutes ago
Herk commented on xremote's group Idaho atheist
21 minutes ago
Herk joined xremote's group
23 minutes ago
Compelledunbeliever replied to Pharmer's discussion Conundrum of faith
46 minutes ago
Idaho Spud posted a video

Worst Convention Ever 9/9 - Freedom Is My Paradise (ex-Jehovah's Witnesses celebrate their freedom!)

In the final part of the Worst Convention Ever series, ex-Jehovah's Witnesses from around the world respond to the propaganda unleashed at the 2017 "Remain L...
54 minutes ago
Profile IconMark Kerr and Mandy joined Atheist Nexus
54 minutes ago
Daniel W commented on Daniel W's group Godless in the garden
1 hour ago
Daniel W commented on Daniel W's group Godless in the garden
1 hour ago

© 2017   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service