3. The Kite Runner, by Khaled Hosseini
4. Bridget Jones's Diary, by Helen Fielding
5. Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen
6. Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood, by Rebecca Wells
7. The Great Gatsby, by F. Scott Fitzgerald
8. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams
9. Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe, by Fannie Flagg
10. The Poisonwood Bible, by Barbara Kingsolver

It comes as no surprise to me that this list is the same as the highest rated on sites like librarything.com. For me, most popular does not mean best, then again, I do not read most fiction.

I also find it hard to believe that people would read these very long and intense novels while at a beach...I can understand something short and light, but do you really want to be that engaged in a novel? I would think enjoying that beach would be more beneficial. I also do not doubt that persons who voted in the poll barely go to a beach if they have ever been to one.

To me, the question is: Why waste that beautiful scene on paper and ink?

Views: 34

Replies to This Discussion

I agree with the beach thing, Matt. I would want to be checking them men out, not burying my nose in a book. I do that enough now.
You would think that people would rather read happy, summer fling-esque books, rather than these heavy novels when at a beack
I have been known to read while I walk or get so engrossed I don't hear others. Just sitting on the beach is not for me so I would either have to be reading or moving around (looking for shells, taking photos, digging in the sand etc) I've read most of them and agree except the Ya-Ya sister hood. I could not find a character I liked. It was one of those I finished to do it, but was really irritated by the end.
I love to read and I do it most anywhere, but not on the beach. It is the least desirable place to read as far as I am concerned for many reasons. I never sit on the beach for one, I am usually either walking the beach or wading in the waves. Reading while at the beach however is a great pleasure of mine and perhaps this is what most folks mean. People are often too wrapped up in their day to day lives that they do not have time to read, but when they go on vacation they will usually bring a book or two and read while at the beach or in the mountains or just on vacation. I read at night before bed while on vacation but never actually on the beach.
Usually when I'm at the beach my kids are with me, so any reading I might do would be in little snippets. So something light would be best. The Xanth series comes to mind. Mostly I just like to soak up the sun and build sandcastles.

RSS

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2017   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service