This is an actual Trump sentence.

Can't you "hear his voice" in it?

Look, having nuclear—my uncle was a great professor and scientist  and engineer, Dr. John Trump at MIT; good genes, very good genes, OK, very smart, the Wharton School of Finance, very good, very smart —you know, if you're a conservative Republican, if I were a liberal, if, like, OK, if I ran as a liberal Democrat, they would say I'm one of the smartest people anywhere in the world—it's true!—but when you're a conservative Republican they try—oh, do they do a number—that's why I always start off: Went to Wharton, was a good student, went there, went there, did this, built a fortune—you know I have to give my like credentials all the time, because we're a little disadvantaged—but you look at the nuclear deal, the thing that really bothers me—it would have been so easy, and it's not as important as these lives are (nuclear is powerful; my uncle explained that to me many, many years ago, the power and that was 35 years ago; he would explain the power of what's going to happen and he was right—who would have thought?), but when you look at what's going on with the four prisoners—now it used to be three, now it's four—but when it was three and even now, I would have said it's all in the messenger; fellas, and it is fellas because, you know, they don't, they haven't figured that the women are smarter right now than the men, so, you know, it's gonna take them about another 150 years—but the Persians are great negotiators, the Iranians  are great negotiators, so, and they, they just killed, they just killed us.

Does it sound like he's high?

image source

Views: 306

Replies to This Discussion

David Uberti suggests that tRump's word salad is defense against rational criticism. Body language, voice tone, and context make his inimical meaning clear to the public, but the literal text is ambiguous.

isn't his is just like the mob boss threatening your family by expressing concern for their health in a pseudo-friendly in your face, staring you down manner? Bare text can be spun to seem innocuous, but everybody who isn't brain dead knows what was said.

Why Donald Trump can kinda, sorta say anything he wants

Trump’s typical word salad provides something of a frontline defense against critical media coverage of his more ridiculous statements. 

Take, for example, when Trump kinda, sorta implied after the Orlando nightclub shooting that President Obama was in league with ISIS. Or when he kinda, sorta implied that Ghazala Khan didn’t speak at the Democratic National Convention because Islam forbade her from doing so. Or any of the other conspiracy theories he kinda, sorta spews. Many people are saying these things, Trump often explains. You tell me.

The reality TV star’s genius lies in a simple trick: He raises ideas while at the same time distancing himself from them just enough to deflect criticism. He establishes some measure of plausible deniability—at least for those who take his statements at face value. Many voters see through this rhetorical ballet, but it poses problems for mainstream news organizations bound by journalistic norms.

The implication of Trump’s remarks on Tuesday seems clear in video recordings of his speech, but  far less so in text: “If [Clinton] gets to pick her judges, nothing you can do, folks. Although the Second Amendment people—maybe there is, I don’t know.” The ambiguity is endless.

“Clearly, you want to report what was said, and if you take it literally, it’s difficult to say, ‘Yes, [Trump] has called for her to be assassinated,’” says Jennifer Mercieca, a Texas A&M professor who specializes in American political rhetoric. “But how should you convey the meaning or implication of what he said? If you take it from that point of view, then yeah, it sounds like he’s saying people should assassinate her.” [emphasis mine]

image source 1 image source 2

>Bare text can be spun to seem innocuous, but everybody who isn't brain dead knows what was said.

Nice party ya got there, Reince. Be a shame if something happened to it.

I think it's actually worse than that, Ruth.  Consider:

During the RNC, it struck me that Trump's facial expressions resembled those of Mussolini.  After a quick Google search, it would seem as though, I'm not alone in that assessment!

RSS

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2017   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service