Views: 118

Replies to This Discussion

I don't understand the necessity of this sort of proposition.  We have near-misses of a few hundred thousand or a million kilometers, all the time.  Every once in a while, one is bound to miss not quite as much as they usually do.  What do we gain by bringing this sort of thing into it?

Sure, anything that has a gravitational effect is going to have an effect upon everything around it, but I would think that the nearer stuff is going to have a much greater impact upon the local solar bodies, since anything outside of the solar system is going to exert pretty much the same effect upon everything in the solar system.  Remember that the force of gravity loses strength with the square of the distance.

I agree Joe, these physicists, as I read it, have been studying the influences of dark matter with a view to unravelling it's essence. Their close association with dark matter seems to have guided them into speculations that naturally involve their research. Still Lisa Randal is well worth reading so I'll suspend my judgement untill I've read the book.

Yeah.  Obviously ... yes, dark matter has an effect on everything going on in our solar system, assuming that it works the way we think it does.  It's the butterfly effect, though.  How the hell do you say that one specific thing caused a single, freak event (which happens to other seven planets all the time), in a vastly complex system of orbital dynamics.

The general statement seems so simplistic.  I'd like to think that the magazine, a popular science magazine, grabbed a small chunk of what she was talking about and presented that completely out of context.  Popular science magazines aren't as sensationalist as pop culture magazines, but I'm sure they have their moments.

I'm with Joseph on this as well. I also will have to read the book, but I don't see what we gain by multiplying hypotheses. I understand that since the discovery that the neutrino has non zero resting mass it has become the leading candidate for the substance of dark matter. This is actual science, worth investigating. The rest is mere speculation.

So newton makes his law of gravity..... it works for what is known at that time. Einstein fixes the law to allow it to work on a larger scale as Newtons doesn't work over great distances. Who is to say Einstein is right. I have a hard time with dark matter and dark energy. Its amazing that in 14000 years or so we can ask these questions, but in the end I think we just dont understand gravity and its relationship with space well enough yet. The dark energy/matter is an equation buffer. My physics teacher told us 2 yards and 2 meters are close. But 2000 yards and 2000 meters are not and so on and so one. We need to find a new measuring stick and i dont think we are ready yet. But i am a network architect, not a physicist so this is just my opinion.
400 years, not 14000 years. Lol.

RSS

About

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

Nexus on Social Media:

© 2018   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: The Nexus Group.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service