An interesting article in Scientific American about the challenges that would be posed to religion if and when extraterrestrials are discovered:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/religion-extraterrestrial...

In the section on Mormonism, the author got it wrong, when she said that in Mormon theology, Earth is the only place on which you can become exalted.  That is incorrect.  Mormons hold that there are many worlds inhabited by humans (or human-like sentiient beings), and that on each, there is sin, there is redemption and there is exaltation.  God the father is in charge of the whole shebang, but Jesus is in charge of only this earth, and once we are "exalted," we become co-equal with Jesus, and are put in charge of our own worlds.  It is a self-deification doctrine.

Other than that, the article has a pretty good handle on most of the doctrine from what I can see.

Views: 221

Replies to This Discussion

No less eminent a scholar than Ken Ham weighed in recently and clarified that they're all going to hell because they're not direct descendants of Adam and Steve, er, Eve.Q.E.D.

Religion and religious people will find a way to keep their illogical beliefs going. That's the upside of an unfalsiable hypothesis, you can always rescue it regardless of any and all contradictory evidence..God, being an unfalsifiable hypothesis of course...it's been 400 plus years since the scientific enterprise took off, the amount of evidence for no gods is beyond overwhelming...and yet here we are LOL...religion is not going anywhere. Human stupidity and conviction is no match for 'evidence'

>.religion is not going anywhere. Human stupidity and conviction is no match for 'evidence'

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.

--Albert Einstein

"In Klingon religion, the original gods who created the first Klingons were slain by their own creations, because they were "more trouble than they were worth".

Sound advice for sentient beings regardless of their planet.

"And when the two hearts began to beat together, they filled the heavens with a terrible sound. For the first time, the gods knew fear. They tried to flee, but it was too late. The Klingon hearts destroyed the gods who created them and turned the heavens to ashes. To this very day, no one can oppose the beating of two Klingon hearts."

I can't fathom really that people actually believe ANY of this. lol Whatever they are high on, I want some!

High on brainwashing, mostly.

Yeah, close but no cigar on Adventists either. Ellen White had visions of aliens living on Jupiter. My girlfriend likes to call them Jupitaliens. She also saw the rolling green hills of Saturn, but that was where Enoch (or was it Elijah) was living post translation. And, what's most relevant to the article, most Adventists either don't know about this vision or they try to deny it... for obvious reasons!

RSS

About

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2018   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: The Nexus Group.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service