I hope we can start a serious disscusion about having one Global Atheist Symbol to identify all the atheists in the World.

The two letters A + T are at the root of more than 80 official languages plus hundreds of unofficial languages or regional languages:

Latest design 2010 ATHEIST EYE ~OJO ATEO:
http://www.atheistnexus.org/video/universal-atheist-symbol-2007-1

The original design:

Slideshow of the latest design atheisteye:

Athesitically yours

Jorge Aberingi

Views: 5422

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

But my wife and I do like the Muslim moon /star trek/thong symbol very much.
THIS ONE?

Yes. It looks rather ominous in black.
Why nobody compares the A/T symbol with the PEACE symbol? is the same thing.
Sorry, yes I remember, I hope you did because you understand the similarities. The millions of hippies that used the same symbol where complete individualists, had no organisation or whatsoever, except the mystic guru driven sects that were a total minority. The same would apply to a universal atheist symbol, individual atheists will identify themselves with the message of the symbol, but there are no organisational intentions. For sure we will find anti religious and anti Christians people that will organise themselves to attack "the enemy".

The same thing happened with the anarchist at end of the XIX and begining XX centuries.
There were few individuals that took justice in their hands that thought that by killing the king or the president of a nation with a bomb or a gun, everything would change. That was a grouse mistake, ever since the State and the Capitalist system relate anarchism with terrorism to keep away people from accepting anarchist philosophy. Nevertheless, here in Spain an anarcho-syndicalist union CNT had 2.000.000 afiliated members at the beguining of the Sapinish Civil War in 1936. And that fact has been hidden from history: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_Civil_War.
And if you have free time check out at this famous atheist character:
http://wapedia.mobi/en/Luis_Bu%C3%B1uel

Thanks for your attention and sorry again.

Aberingi
Another issue is that when you look at it it looks like a but crack.....like we are mooning the rest of the world. Not the sort of image I'd want to use.
More accurately, it doesn't need a specific symbol. You've got the Atom for Physics/Science (sometimes), whatever you like for Chemistry, and the Double Helix for Biology. That's just the most recognisable symbols.
So you mean that we shouldn't triumphing science as our 'religion'? I understand that.
I'm not entirely sure to be honest. But I think that's the idea behind this discussion.
Aye. The old 'atom' symbol is horrendously outdated, simplified, and plainly wrong. I'd go with a nice double helix too. Or a depiction of a chromosome maybe...hmm.
Here we go again with science. In my opinion you are not giving the issue too much thought.

The A/T is several things at the same time:

Arithmetical, poligonal, mathematical amd most important transmitst the word ATheist in many, many languages. If a chinese sees it once nest to this 无神论
-
无神论

as a chinese atheist will never forget.
It is easy to draw on the beach, as jewellery is safe.

Why humans have the tendency to make the simple difficult?

Etheistically

Aberingi

Sorry for my bad English.
I don't think we NEED a universal symbol, but I would definitely wear this around my neck. The design is simple, beautiful and conveys a clear message.

RSS

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2017   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service