I hope we can start a serious disscusion about having one Global Atheist Symbol to identify all the atheists in the World.

The two letters A + T are at the root of more than 80 official languages plus hundreds of unofficial languages or regional languages:

Latest design 2010 ATHEIST EYE ~OJO ATEO:

The original design:

Slideshow of the latest design atheisteye:

Athesitically yours

Jorge Aberingi

Views: 5149

Replies to This Discussion

I'm not entirely sure to be honest. But I think that's the idea behind this discussion.
Aye. The old 'atom' symbol is horrendously outdated, simplified, and plainly wrong. I'd go with a nice double helix too. Or a depiction of a chromosome maybe...hmm.
Here we go again with science. In my opinion you are not giving the issue too much thought.

The A/T is several things at the same time:

Arithmetical, poligonal, mathematical amd most important transmitst the word ATheist in many, many languages. If a chinese sees it once nest to this 无神论

as a chinese atheist will never forget.
It is easy to draw on the beach, as jewellery is safe.

Why humans have the tendency to make the simple difficult?

Sorry for my bad English.
I don't think we NEED a universal symbol, but I would definitely wear this around my neck. The design is simple, beautiful and conveys a clear message.
Do you mean the A/T symbol?

This is a good design for tattooing: http://simboloateo.tumblr.com/

The basic symbol A + T + circle is the most popular for the web:

There are many different designs already made here are some:

I understand that being atheist makes you think in religious terms and with little thought you throw into the rubbish bin an innovative symbol that has nothing to do with religion. Why don't you compare the symbol with its utopian friends like the PEACE symbol that shook the Twentieth Century in the sixties that envisioned the climate change and promoted recycling of waste, saving fauna and flora, challenged consumerism, etc. And the Anarchist Symbol that has the most advanced utopian ideas humankind has ever invented. Neither of them ever refered to religion at all.

Why don't we put the A/T symbol in the same category?. Why we have to refrain atheism to science alone?.

Orange wrote "I really can't see atheists coming together under one banner........".

Maybe that's too difficult for all atheists, but recognition inter alia between atheists would be usefully improved for those who want it.
I like Aberingi's version when rendered as a black lapel badge (as shown in the tattoo above). I would wear that with ease.
It's incredible. I didn't think that you were so narrow minded :-). Consider the A/T symbol not as the PEACE symbol, never there was a hippy organization it only served a purpose to proudly, individually an globally to be identified with other alike. Woostock is an example of mass gathering of individuals expressing their lifestyle. Why since I started this thread, atheist reply comparing this amazing innovative initiative to create something like de peace symbol into a fear of a supposed atheist religion.

Time to time, the reality is that many atheists individuals like the idea. The ATOM and scarlet A a very far from becoming global. The A/T has all the chances to be the one.

Sorry this reply was intended for ORANGE, I, of course agree with Dr. Terence.
I know your logo I have seen it at Barcelona's Zoo, Spain, I live in a near by city.
Now is dead his name was "copito de nieve" "little snow flake". :-)
How in the name of reason could A-Theism ever be considered a faith? It literally means 'without theism'! According to Webster theism is the belief in a god or gods. A-Theism is the absence of such beliefs! Professing Atheism would in fact be a statement against faith! You then say the only thing that holds us together is that we all disbelieve in god/gods. This is exactly what the symbol would depict! Are you being rational?
You do know that many theists think atheism is a faith right?

Update Your Membership :

Nexus on Social Media:

© 2016   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service