A world map of Neanderthal and Denisovan ancestry in modern humans

Posted: 28 Mar 2016 10:35 AM PDT

Most non-Africans possess at least a little bit Neanderthal DNA. But a new map of archaic ancestry suggests that many bloodlines around the world, particularly of South Asian descent, may actually be a bit more Denisovan, a mysterious population of hominids that lived around the same time as the Neanderthals. The analysis also proposes that modern humans interbred with Denisovans about 100 generations after their trysts with Neanderthals.

Views: 200

Replies to This Discussion

Hmm, how was this sort of information gathered?  Services like 23-and-Me come to mind, but I'm sure that the researchers doing this used slightly more advanced methods.

Yup, John posts all sorts of stuff like this.  I always give it a read, even if I don't have much to say on the subject.  Lots of cool stuff going on out there.  We still seem to be progressing at an exponential rate, in our technological capabilities.

Hi Quiana - Welcome to the group. I like reading about archaic humans too. I have had my DNA analyzed by National Geographic (thru its Genographic Project). Among other things the results indicated that my DNA was 2.9% Neanderthal and 3% Denisovan. I was surprised that I had so much archaic human in me. I was especially surprised that I had more Denisovan than Neanderthal in me because the Denisovans supposedly lived primarily in Asia and (according to Ancestry.com which also analyzed my DNA) I am supposed to be 98% European. (The other 2% is of the Caucasus and Middle East.). Ancestry.com does not tell you anything about how much of your DNA is of archaic humans. If you have had your DNA tested or plan to you might be interested in joining a group for DNA tested non-believers. You may look at it thru the link below. Once again, welcome to the group. 





Update Your Membership :



Nexus on Social Media:

© 2019   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: The Nexus Group.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service