Pope Francis confesses that Evolution and the Big Bang theory are right: God isn't 'a magician with a magic wand'

Here are some truths for Roman Catholic fundies, Archbishops and Muslims to assimilate.

Pope Francis accepts that the theories of evolution and the Big Bang are real and declares that God is not “a magician with a magic wand”. Speaking at the Pontifical Academy of Sciences, he made comments which experts said put an end to the fictions of creationism and intelligent design that his predecessor, Benedict XVI, had encouraged.

Francis explained that the two scientific theories were not incompatible with the existence of a creator--– arguing instead that they “require it”. He said: “When we read about Creation in Genesis, we run the risk of imagining God was a magician, with a magic wand able to do everything. But that is not so”. Indeed, God “created human beings and let them develop according to the internal laws that he gave to each one so they would reach their fulfilment. The theories of evolution and the Big Bang are real . . . ”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/pope-francis-declare...

Views: 1012

Replies to This Discussion

About the same time that they admit that their outfit amounts to a two-millennia-old con game and that they are a bunch of detestable frauds.

I for one am not holding my breath.

Hawking has been a little ambivalent, I am told. He also has a history of embracing theories then discarding them for others 180-degrees apart.

Suspect Luara and others are right in saying there are RCC clerics who are atheists.

The more educated a religious cleric may be in science, the more at risk his faith is liable to be!

Well, this seems like another episode of 'God of the Paradox'. More proof for the Catholics to doubt their religion, since the Pope is supposed to be the messenger of God himself. And since he confesses to evolution, that means he contradicts the first twenty or so chapters of Genesis, and words of Leviticus, Numbers, etc referring back to it. Religious people can easily ignore those contradicitons in the bible, but how can the Catholics ignore their leader? This alongside with the Pope being outvoted; God being outvoted by the high ranking bishops of the world over the sin of homosexuality and it's acts, is something more. Don't get me wrong, I have plenty of respect for the new Pope, but he needs to get his act together. And finally, this will still not help the first cause argument at all. God is still omnipresent, and ever lasting in history apparently.

Way to go, Catholicism. 

This is progress after a fashion. However he goes on to add too much in trying to mesh it in with his faith.

I love this assertion that supposedly science needs his god.
Science has repeatedly demonstrated that it needs no god whatsoever. Pope Francis can make all the assertions he wants, but until he can come up with substantial reasons why we should believe him, I'm not about to.

If it is supposed to be philosophically valid that a god perfect in goodness needs no reason to exist then it is at least equally philosophically valid that science needs no reason to exist. I say "at least" because there is a lot of empirical evidence that is inconsistent with the existence of a god perfect in goodness while this same evidence is a subset of science.

Jimmy, you have expressed it very succinctly. 

I think you might need to reconsider the way I applied the term "philosophically valid." When I said "philosophically valid" I meant "correct from the perspective of reason". I assumed that was obvious. When a person decides to be  a theist, agnostic or Atheist it should have everything to do with what is "correct from the perspective of reason". That is, it should have everything to do with what is "philosophically valid". The point that I made is that "from the perspective of reason" it cannot validly be asserted that the existence science depends on the existence of a god because "from the perspective of reason" the position that science simply exists is at least as strong as the position that a god simply exists. Please don't take "philosophically valid" thinking (i.e., correct reasoning) away from whether people should be theists, agnostics or Atheists.

i think that religion originally was an attempt at philosophy and science, and considering the pool of information available at the time, did the best it could.These days the fact-claiming by religion based on ancient arguments and considerations belies the whole exercise of fact gathering that the sciences have become. Why? Because religion is also an origin of politics!

This discussion will go on until the pope says something new next. This wouldn't take long because the pope seems to be confused. The good thing about what this confused pope says is that it will confuse many many Catholics too.

RSS

About

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

Nexus on Social Media:

© 2020   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: The Nexus Group.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service