Hello everyone. Thank you for welcoming me to the group.

On Jan. 19 I started a discussion in the "Water Cooler" section of the forum here on atheistnexus.org. There haven't been any responses yet, and although it hasn't been a terribly long time, I thought I would inquire with the members of this group, since I was invited, with some questions.

What's the etiquette around these parts for "bumping" a message if it falls by the wayside? Is this acceptable at all? If so, is 11 days a sufficient enough wait time before one could feel okay commenting on his/her own message in order to bring it back in front of the community's eyes?

Maybe the questions I asked were too personal, uninteresting, or offensive. Maybe you could comment on this.

Here was the body of text:

Title: Emotional magnitude...

Among those of you who have at some point in your lives held religious beliefs to any extent, have you ever found the full acceptance of mortality since to bring with it a stronger emotional response? For instance, do you find the feeling of terror and sadness that accompanies watching a documentary about the holocaust, say, to be exceedingly more harsh since you've become disillusioned? Or do you feel a much greater need to tell your loved ones how much they mean to you? This is something that I'm experiencing, and at times it can be overwhelming. I'm not saying I remember these feelings being weak or short-lived when I was "a believer", but they feel orders of magnitude greater now. I'm curious if I'm not alone. Any comments are welcome.

As my own critic, I shouldn't have worded it in such a way that assumed the reader would have "fully accepted mortality". I'll state here now, though, that when my mind ventures down that extension of logic, I sometimes feel a heavier emotional weight, and that that was all I was trying to convey.

One final thing. Please tell me if this group is not the place for this type of discussion! =)

Anyone's comments on any of this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Views: 110

Replies to This Discussion

Absolutely Rudy, and that is a great story.  A sense of humor and irony are absolutely essential and I always say that without them you are finished.  Humor and Johnnie Walker Black Label.
At the risk of coming off as an unrelenting troll, perhaps a certain mind trick?

Like 'live life everyday' or whatever, imagine everyday is the last chance you have to make a positive impact on someone. Tomorrow something could happen. Something glorious like a rapture (hey who knows right) maybe something terrible (world war, a mass natural disaster, alien invasion) or something entierly weird! Maybe you meet an amazing man from england who is doing something remarkably interesting and you spend the next two years terribly worked up by starting a pub in australia. Who knows what awesome things tomorrow might bring! Make everything you do count! That might speed some things up ;)
I wanted to thank everyone for their replies. This is a discussion that could definitely rage on. I'm open to this, but there hasn't been much activity here in a while --which is okay. The summary of my intent of the first post was to see what sense of community could be found here. I've been happy with the way things unfolded. I wasn't simply pacified or told "it will be okay", but was instead engaged and offered the chance to pick some thoughts apart with you all. Thanks again.

Support Atheist Nexus

Supporting Membership

Nexus on Social Media:

© 2015   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service