I'm fairly excited about this site! I hope it really takes off in a positive way.

I created this group because I see a need. I belong to a few parenting message boards but none of them are very interested in discussing secular parenting issues. Needless to say most are religious to varying degrees and don't understand why it's even an issue.

Just a brief intro...I'm a SAHM with two boys ages 5 and 2. I'll be sending my 5 year old off to kindy this fall and with the excitement also comes all the usual fears and nerves. I look forward to getting to know other parents here.

Views: 279

Replies to This Discussion

Oh yes. I hope I didn't offend younger moms. Hanging out with younger moms is fun and I probably stay younger for it and I think they are great. It's just that I find it hard sometimes connecting with other parents when they are a generation or two away from me.
I'm a father of a 10-year-old third-gen atheist boy. We moved from the buckle of the bible-belt to Provo, Ut last summer, and he's getting ready for his second full year in school here.
Hi non-Mormonism has caused some issues, such as a friend saying "The Golden Compass is anti-Mormon," and my son shooting back with derision: "Are you nuts? It's a fantasy film!"
We sent him to Catholic school for his second grade, and there have been no ill effects. He just knows more about a different type of people than I could have taught him. He liked the signing at mass, and the responsibility of helping the Priest, and thought the nuns were cool. He never believed in it, but went along good-naturedly. His mom was raised Catholic (is now an atheist), so she felt it was important to learn some of the traditions of his ancestors. I never worried that he would be "indoctrinated" or anything like that because we talk a lot, and I trust him.
"Are you nuts? It's a fantasy film!"
Hilarious!

Welcome John.
I'm a 44 year old SAHM of two girls aged 11 and 15. My husband and I are both Atheists born and raised, so raising our children without religion seemed like the most natural thing to do.

We're doing well so far (fingers crossed) my 15 year old seems to have avoided the dangerous pitfalls of adolescence like drinking and drugs and as of yet she has not ventured into the sexual arena. I attribute this to common sense parenting and open communication.
Hi, I'm new here.

I'm a mom to a wonderful little 13 month old boy. We live in Los Angeles and I'm really enjoying this time off from work to take care of our little guy.

I would love to meet more parents around our area.
Hi - I'm a SAHM of a 2.5 yr old girl. My husband and I are secular and plan to raise our daughter not in a religion, but with an understanding of many world religions. She's too young for it now, but that's our plan for the future, anyway!

I'm so glad to have someplace to connect with other secular parents! Living in a small-town (often small-minded) region of the midwest, I don't often encounter other open-minded parents. Looking forward to interacting with you all!
Hi, all! I'm a part-time working mom to four kids. I'm also a student. My kids are 12, 11, 6 and almost 4. I live in Tennessee, where a question that will come up the first time you meet someone is 'what church do you go to?'

I'm trying to raise my kids to know that people have many different beliefs, and not push them in any one direction. I have no issues with my lack of religion on online communities that I frequent, but in my real life it's a huge issue. I'm a closet atheist in my town. I'm just afraid of how my kids would be treated if everyone knew. It's not right, but I just don't feel like I'm the person to change that view at this time. So, I look for like minded people online, and just try to studiously avoid religious talk in my real life.

Anyway, I can't wait to get to know the posters here.
I'm an SAHM as well. My daughter is in 1st grade, and we're seeing how things go this year before I go back to work. If it's not going well, we may homeschool her next year. No, I can't believe I'm saying that either; however, we live in a pretty religious area, and most of the kids in her class go to the same church. So...we'll see.

We're not real out to our neighbors, and we've talked to our daughter about changing the subject when religion comes up. I was thrilled to find this group!
I'm a working father, I have a 2 1/2 yr old boy and a 6mo girl. My wife is a graduate student.

We haven't gotten to any of the big questions kids ask yet so I will see how it plays out.

The only other parenting forum I have checked out was the craigslist parenting forum and that place is crazy. The level of insanity is just way too much, people castigating one another because they feed their kids lunchables or because both parents work.
Hi Iam a stay at home mom of two girls, 4 and 3, and two boys 3 and 1. My daughter will be going to pre school this fall, I was hoping that the twins could get in too but there isn't enough room so we will have to wait until next year.

RSS

About

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2018   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: The Nexus Group.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service