redditor upset by the Arctic Se Ice melt, whose husband is a climate denier, commented,

“Honestly, I do not understand how can people still be denying it with all the evidence.”

What do you think of my reply?

I'm beginning to figure this out, and it's not good news. Riane Eisler's Cultural Transformation theory explains that there are two kinds of culture. In Partnership Culture, which arose after the development of agriculture, women are considered equals to men, and cooperation is the source of power. This didn't last long. In Dominator Culture men dominate women by force, adults dominate children, and everyone dominates nature. Violence is the source of power. Although we don't generally notice, our culture is Dominator, it's hierarchical, it's a warrior culture. Even though we have jobs like doctor and engineer, the culture as a whole embraces the warrior hierarchy.

Climate destabilization is inherently threatening to those (men especially) whose identity and self-worth depend on their status in the hierarchy. It's a challenge that can't be comprehended by the warrior mentality, because fighting can't solve it. When Dominator people feel as if the society is failing, that there's chaos, they long for an older Dominator order (lost golden age). Bygone Dominator cultures have even less efficient strategies for comprehending climate destabilization. But they appeal because the challenge is presented in warrior culture terms that make sense to them and reaffirm their identity.

Our loss of decades of progress to Trump's victory parallels the loss of centuries of progress as ISIL replaced a more secular/modern society. We are seeing not just the terminal decline of White Christian Male Dominance but the decline of Dominator cultures worldwide.

No climate catastrophe evidence can overcome such denial because it doesn't match the warrior skill set. Just acknowledging the threat challenges the validity of the hierarchical culture within which we function.

Dominator Culture is like a good algorithm for dividing pies. It's not helpful if the challenge is that the kitchen is on fire.

Isn't it useless to petiton Elon Musk to "explain" Climate Change to tRump?

Views: 106

Replies to This Discussion

Dominator Culture is like a good algorithm for dividing pies.

Or at least a somewhat usable if not fair one: Daddy gets the biggest piece, after that everyone for themselves. (My geek side recalls that there are algorithms for dividing a pie that people in a Partnership Culture would prefer, where everyone's satisfied that it's fair -- even if they value things differently, like one person loves whipped cream and another couldn't care less about it but loves walnuts. They're extensions of the well-known two-person algorithm where one cuts, the other picks a piece first.)

It's not helpful if the challenge is that the kitchen is on fire.

...and is spreading to the rest of the house, while remodeling companies obliviously compete for the best bid....

It also made me think of how a seriously ill cat will run and hide, knowing no other way to react to the pain and the threat. They can't conceive that the frights and horrors of a vet visit will ultimately give them a better life.

Somewhat related: "Why Cats Aren't Republican" (MessagingMatters, via Daily Kos)

(The fat cat below is from the article. I found appropriate images for some of the other points; links are to my tweets.)

1. Cats are curious about what you do in your bedroom, but they don't try to legislate away your freedom to do it.

2. Cats may take away your cushion, but they'll give it back to you with a gentle push.

3. Cats give you attention and sympathy when you're sick.

4. Females are treated with importance in the cat world.

5. Cats make use of solar power, often all day long.

6. Cats lick their own problems and take care of other cats too.

7. Cats don't blame black and brown cats for their troubles.

8. Cats know how to ration their resources.

9. Fat cats are not at the top of the cat hierarchy, are not cat role models, and have more trouble surviving and thriving, not less.

10. While Republicans blindly follow authority, it is said that getting Democrats to act in unison is like herding cats.

11. Cats don't foul their own nest.

12. Cats are popular and well-liked on the Internet and elsewhere.

Isn't it useless to petiton Elon Musk to "explain" Climate Change to tRump?

Unless he can be convinced that facing and dealing with climate destabilization will lead to more customers who'll make more money for his businesses....

Climate Deniers seem to ignore future economic impacts of climate change. They claim it's too costly to take action now, assuming that future generations will be far more wealthy than we are. So this point of view hasn't worked to date with that population.

RSS

About

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2018   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: The Nexus Group.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service