God said, “div D = ρ, div B = 0, curl E = - ðB/ðt, curl H = J + ðD/ðt,” and there was light.

God said, “div D = ρ, div B = 0, curl E = - ðB/ðt, curl H = J + ðD/ðt,”
and there was light.

This ingenious statement by atheist-physicist Brent Meeker is my favourite science quotation.
It was used in 2002 when I was on Vic Stenger’s discussion site, avoid-l.

Here are some more science-related quotations from among many dozens I have been collecting for years. What are your best science-related quotes?

“The first key to wisdom is assiduous and frequent questioning ... For by doubting we come to inquiry, and by inquiry we arrive at truth.”  Peter Abelard (1079-1142) c. 1120.

“The Sun, with all the planets revolving around it, and depending on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as though it had nothing else in the Universe to do.” Galileo Galilei

Socrates: “There is only one good, Knowledge, and only one evil, Ignorance.”

René Descartes: “We buy the right to reject only with the effort we make to understand”.

Views: 3190

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Joan. Maxwell's Equations express electromagnetism (which includes light) using an efficient advanced mathematical formulation---here slightly simplified for the context of a vacuum situation.

Take a glance at Wikipedia for a summary. Yes, it's scary until one has learnt the 'rules of engagement'. 

Brief, and to the point:

Ernest Hemingway (1868-1961): “All thinking men are atheists”. 

But he should have said "men and women".

RSS

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2017   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service