The delusional thinking of the Republican Party: Annotating Ted Cruz’s surrender speech By Chauncey DeVega Sunday May 08, 2016

Views: 511

Replies to This Discussion

Joan, deciding which is the bigger lie, religion or "America" isn't worth much time.

Tom, as always, you write wisely!

I have not seen a bigger mess than this year's Republican candidates. They were like wrestling characters.

I just hope that Trump keeps up his style of substanceless bullying, and the debate moderators call him on it, once the debates are no longer run by conservative shills.  The difference between the Republican and Democratic debates is pretty damned stark.

Here's the real question: should the Republicans be denied the White House yet again, Do They Learn Anything From This???  There was supposed to be a correction after the 2012 presidential elections, but there really wasn't.  Indeed, the GOP went even further to the right with the likes of Cruz, or they went batshit insane with Trump.  Either way, the constituency represented by Republican leadership has been both slim and very elite, and their game has been largely the same: getting mostly disinterested or uneducated voters to act against their interests.

Which begs the question: how do we get those voters educated and interested?

Also, as a side-point to this train wreck, here is an article published in the New York Times regarding the mindset of what has gone on before, in this case with George W. Bush.  An excerpt from that piece follows:

"This is why he dispenses with people who confront him with inconvenient facts," Bartlett went on to say. "He truly believes he's on a mission from God. Absolute faith like that overwhelms a need for analysis. The whole thing about faith is to believe things for which there is no empirical evidence." Bartlett paused, then said, "But you can't run the world on faith."

Forty democratic senators were gathered for a lunch in March just off the Senate floor. I was there as a guest speaker. Joe Biden was telling a story, a story about the president. "I was in the Oval Office a few months after we swept into Baghdad," he began, "and I was telling the president of my many concerns" -- concerns about growing problems winning the peace, the explosive mix of Shiite and Sunni, the disbanding of the Iraqi Army and problems securing the oil fields. Bush, Biden recalled, just looked at him, unflappably sure that the United States was on the right course and that all was well. "'Mr. President,' I finally said, 'How can you be so sure when you know you don't know the facts?"'

Biden said that Bush stood up and put his hand on the senator's shoulder. "My instincts," he said. "My instincts."

Biden paused and shook his head, recalling it all as the room grew quiet. "I said, 'Mr. President, your instincts aren't good enough!"'

Bertrand Russell, William Butler Yeats and others have commented on this brand of fatuous egotism, the "cocksure" or "passionate intensity" of those who are convinced that they have the "truth," while they lack any facts to support it.  They are able to do so because those who elect them will not themselves bother to learn what is going on for themselves.  This isn't news, either:

Whenever the people are well-informed, they can be trusted with their own government;... whenever things get so far wrong as to attract their notice, they may be relied on to set them to rights.
--Thomas Jefferson to Richard Price, 1789. ME 7:253

I keep coming back to Arthur Jensen's speech from that 1976 film, Network, wherein he implies that the American public can be coddled, tranquilized and amused to the point where they are little more than children, so that the corporate grown-ups can run the show.  Jensen is getting his wish.  What do we do about it?

What do we do about it?

Loren, you know the answer; more of us become more active than we are.

If we fail, we metaphorically go down with the metaphorical ship.

Loren, your Joe's Barn tip worked.

Ctrl-C, reload the page, and my post appeared.

Thanks.

And now, if the FSM allows, it will work again.

Network (1976) - Ned Beatty - "The World is a Business"

Tom, I looked through four years of responses and did not find your response. If you can direct me to yours, I want to read it.  I did find some gems: 

A response:
"Daniel M. Kobayashi3 years ago
The world...
is a college of corporations...
inexorably determined...
by the immutable bylaws of business.

"The world is a business."

A response: 

"Krishna Mohan Janapa Reddy 3 years ago
The World Is A College Of Corporations And Extra Plead Determine By The Immutable Biological Of Business....
"So "World Is Business"."

Humans made it from scratch. Out of nothingness. That is literally true. And it's also why its so pathetic that we haven't done a hell of a lot better. (But we could have done worse.) There's a song by Eef Barzelay with the line "I can't take comfort in the fact that it could be worse." Kind of sums up my worldview.

If there is a party that doesn't learn anything it's the Republican party. They still have a stronghold of the House and Senate, so they can try to bully whatever progressive bill that wants to get passed. Not that I trust HIllary to try to even present too too many progressive bills. Both parties answer to lobbyists and donors.

I think that the mainstream media in the USA is absolutely horrible. They care more about ratings than actual news. If it weren't for social media and other sources, I would not know anything about the candidates voting record, consistencies and where they really stand. If we really want to educate voters we have to overhaul the mainstream news media. Although, I think social media is little by little going to get a stranglehold. If Bernie Sanders candidacy is any indication of the things to come, I'm going to be happy. Hopefully in the future it'll be the Ron Paul Republicans vs the Bernie Democrats.

Ron Paul is pretty far out there, though.  He's adopted the term states'-rights, and we all know what that is code for.

He pushes for a stripped-down federal government, because that means that the states can run the show, individually.  That's the strategy of someone who realizes that the nation is against his position, as a whole, and so he needs to reinforce strongholds of regressivism.

RSS

About

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2018   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: The Nexus Group.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service