That's the title of Neil Buchanan's article in Newsweek (complete with irrelevant autoplaying video), reprinted from Justia's Verdict site where it has the title "Things Republicans Say They Believe That They Do Not Really Believe".

A few excerpts:

"By now we barely even notice the rank hypocrisy of Republicans saying that choice is essential for buying shoes or a beach condo, whereas when a young woman does not want to continue a pregnancy that resulted from being raped by her mother’s boyfriend, many Republicans are fine with the idea of eliminating all choice in the matter...

Freedom of choice, then, turns out to be a nice slogan that only applies in some situations for the benefit of some people. When millions of Americans lose their health insurance coverage and start to suffer the consequences, they will be enjoying their freedom not to have been given the ability to buy government-mandated insurance coverage. Liberty, indeed."

"The party that constantly talks about local control and allowing people to be free from the dictates of far-off politicians is now engaged in a campaign to have state governments override local laws regarding civil rights, minimum wages and so on. Republicans love home rule unless it leads to something they dislike.

And it is a certainty that if the Supreme Court overrules Roe v. Wade, Republicans will begin discussing a national anti-abortion law...."

"What do Republicans believe in? As their new health care plan reminds us all too clearly, regressive tax and spending cuts are what Republicans are all about. Also, allowing businesses to scam consumers and exploit workers, and controlling women’s sexual lives.

But none of those core beliefs are popular. Instead, Republicans have to pretend that they care about free choice (but not really), putting Americans first (unless it is inconvenient to do so) and reining in big government (until they control it).

This has been going on for decades. Trump makes it worse, but he also makes it clearer what is happening. Will Americans finally see through the dishonesty?"

(Emphases and ellipses mine. Read the whole thing!)

(image of shoppers from the Newsweek article)

Views: 48

Replies to This Discussion

"The party that constantly talks about local control and allowing people to be free from the dictates of far-off politicians is now engaged in a campaign to have state governments override local laws regarding civil rights, minimum wages and so on. Republicans love home rule unless it leads to something they dislike.

North Carolina's HB2, anyone?  Everyone is aware that that bill was passed to nullify an anti-discrimination ordinance passed by Charlotte, right?  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_Facilities_Privacy_%26_Securit...

Also from that page:

The act also prevents municipalities in North Carolina from enacting anti-discrimination policies, setting a local minimum wage, regulating child labor, or making certain regulations for city workers. The legislation initially removed the statutory and common-law private right of action to enforce state anti-discrimination statutes in state courts, but was later amended to restore that right.

Local government at its finest.

NC's HB2 is a bit more complicated, Joseph.

It's state control at its worst of local government at its best.

I'm aware of the details.  I'm in North Carolina, and I've been in the protests at the capital.

The bill went beyond the focus of the Charlotte ordinance, but the introduction of the bill was a response by the Republican legislature, with their new gubernatorial shithead at the helm, deciding that they couldn't have that sort of hippy, liberal, anti-Christian-ness going on in their state.

I'm normally a pretty mellow guy, but every time I hear those assholes talk about how they want "small government," I have an urge to hit them in the face. What they want is no taxes, no regulations, no accountability for corporations, and to dictate everyone's most intimate personal behavior. I don't see how they've continually gotten away with such rank hypocrisy. Uh, actually I do; it's because the Democrats have been completely worthless.

A roomful of anthropomorphized donkey Democrats, shocked, horrified, and puzzled -- 'Sweet Jesus! What is it?!' -- to see a disembodied spine in the corner of the room.

RSS

© 2017   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service