“Here, where a thousand
Captains swore grand conquest. . .Tall
Grass their monument.”
― Basho
What does this quote mean to you? To me it portrays deep deep effort that was for nothing. Deep Deep Wasted Effort. Reminds me of Religion. Imagine a Thousand Winning Captains, Each With Thousands of soldiers that died or were maimed, fighting the Thousand losing Captains, Each With Thousands of soldiers that died or were maimed, ALL THAT EFFORT and all they have to show for it is tall grass. So sad. Utter failure. Like religion's feigned attempt to cure poverty!

Views: 46

Replies to This Discussion

I wasn't 100% certain where you were going with that quote until I read your explanation here ... and I was instantly reminded of the following:

I met a traveller from an antique land,
Who said—“Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. . . . Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed;
And on the pedestal, these words appear:
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings;
Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away."

-- Percy Bysshe Shelley

The sentiments are much the same, though yours far briefer and succinct.

War can be made obsolete. RBE can do it if implemented.

Don't like to ask stupid questions, but what's RBE?

RBE - Resource Based Economy

Read all about it here

Thanks, looks interesting.

You're welcome. Feel free to message me about RBE and the Venus Project if you have questions. I have followed The Venus Project for almost 20 years and am still waiting for RBE to be implemented somewhere so I can move there.

It seems to be aligned with the type of thing Charles Eisenstein talks about in his books.

I never heard of Charles Eisenstein. The closest thing I can think of is the Star Trek Society that fiction has written about.

Swear to Gauss, Loren - I'd just read AT's entry and before I saw your post I thought Ozymandias is what it reminds me of. 

RSS

© 2018   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service