moJoe and The Poetry of Scripture: It's our culture--don't fight it; embrace it!

Just a few short hours ago, I witnessed moJoe's wedding. His newlywed wife will not be named here since I'm not yet sure if it's okay to do so. It was a lovely cerimony witnessed by a small group of friends and family. Joe and his bride exchanged vows that they had written themselves over the last few weeks. It was beautiful.

Now to the part that I think is relevant to this group. Joe decided to use a piece of scripture for his vows. He read from 1st Corinthians chapter 13, which has long been one of my favorites—though he cut it short, just before one of my favorite Pauline quotes (1st Cor 13:11).

1st Corinthians 13:1-7 (ESV)

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing.

Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

Love never ends.

How cool is it than an atheist can quote the Bible on his wedding day? Very! It's our culture, so why not embrace it? If cultural Jews can do it, then why not cultural Christains?

Views: 14

About

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2018   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service