Something someone shared with me on facebook cuz I like to sunbathe. Nudity is viewed in the USA as more sexual because we over censor it while nudity in europe is more open and less sexual. 

https://youtu.be/tsdVMoAXpOc

Views: 175

Replies to This Discussion

And of course, who do we have to thank for this stupidity?  Religion ... and mostly Christianity.  Big surprise, right? [/sarcasm]

Not just religion, but two religions--Puritanism AND Catholicism.

In 1992, Harvard University Press published "Sex and Reason" by then-Federal Appellate Court Judge and Univ. of Chicago Law Professor Richard A. Posner. In it he said his fellow judges rule on cases about sexuality yet know little more about the subject than they knew when they were teenagers.

Posner's reputation among legal writers was such that other legal writers cited his works more often than they cited any other such writer.

In short Posner said America, alone among the world's nations, had among its early settlers both Catholics and Puritans. He said Catholicism's strict rules and lax practices together with Puritanism's strict practices and lax rules made America what Europeans know it to be, weird.

Posner's writings changed a homophobic SCOTUS to the SCOTUS that made same-sex marriage legal.

Also, don't forget that a good number of the original European settlers came to the US for religious freedom.  A lot of the current ultra-conservative Christians here in the US twist that to mean that the religious groups were being persecuted in Europe.

Don't forget that the Pilgrims stopped off in ... Holland was it? ... before coming to North America.  They left Holland because the Christians they found in Holland were too liberal, and they were worried about their children being led astray.

It wasn't always the case, of course, but many of the other groups of people seeking religious freedom were similarly seeking the freedom to be as extreme and bat-shit conservative as they wanted to be.  The freedom to have an oppressive religion, essentially.  That still shows, compared to the sorts of Christianity they tend to have in Europe nowadays.

Great point, Joseph. I've never really thought about it in that light.

...As I read in history by howard zinn....the American Indians were very liberal in their sexual activities.... so for the Puritan it is out of the frying pan into the fire....

Yeah, but it was probably easier to maintain the moral isolation, since they didn't have as much common history as they had with the Hollanders.  There were big problems with colonists running off to live with the natives, at times, even so.

There's a lot of that sort of clarification in this series:

I highly recommend the entire channel, if you want to brush up on all of the stuff you've forgotten since high school and college, in a very entertaining format.

Or, here's a link to the playlist as a whole:  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8dPuuaLjXtMwmepBjTSG593eG7O....

Gotta be careful when talking about "American Indians" here. American Indians did not really exist as a single entity as the term suggests. American Indians  were not a homogeneous group in which everyone shared the same behaviors or cultural rules. When the Europeans came here this was a continent filled with people as vast as all of Europe. Native peoples tribes and nations were as diverse as any nations and peoples anywhere else in the old world. Some were very open sexually others had extremely rigid codes of sexual behaviors.

The vast majority, though ...

Actually, the generalization isn't as much of a problem, in this case.  The context is fairly clearly defined as those groups that the early European settlers encountered on the east coast of what is now the US: the Iroquois Confederacy and such.  Those native groups were pretty much universal in being sexually libertine, compared to the societies of the colonists.

I bet that the more rigid, urban cultures of the Central American nations would still be hard pressed to compete with the guilt-for-sex exchange of Christianity, though.

Somewhere in the bible it says if god had wanted us to run around nekkid, we'd have been born that way.

That reminds me of this row of panels from this one webcomic, for some reason:

http://www.nuklearpower.com/2004/01/15/episode-373-critical-hit/

It's fairly alarming, but typically American, that a prez would get into big trouble for getting a blow job, but not for lying the country into an incredibly destructive and useless (but immensely profitable for his cronies) war.

As per the video, I used to spend time in the English garden in Munich, and there were skyclad people of all ages all around. There was nothing even slightly salacious about it, except in the minds of gaping American tourists. As the old saying goes, we see the world not as it is but as we are.

The same prez who got into big trouble for getting a blow job fired his surgeon general because she said masturbation is okay.

Then, by signing the Glass-Stegal Act repeal, he made the 2008 economic crash inevitable.

RSS

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2017   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service