I just plugged the terms "history of Vermont atheism" into a Google search. I suspect that different search terms might pull up different information.

One snippet from that search: "1970 - In a rare journey from his home in Vermont, the 64-year-old Mr. Solzhenitsyn received the $175000 prize. Mr. Solzhenitsyn, who won the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1970, is the first Orthodox Christian to win the award. At the ceremony, Mr. Solzhenitsyn gave a strong speech forecasting doom for the world if it continued on what he called its atheistic path."

Views: 20

Replies to This Discussion

Heh. Have you taken out asteroid insurance yet, Don?

I remember hearing that people in Solzhenitsyn's vicinity here in Vermont were very protective of his privacy.
All New Englanders? I haven't lived outside of Vermont or Maine much for the past 22 years, so I don't have a grasp of what the rest of New England is like. Southern New Hampshire seems a very different place than Northern New Hampshire. Same with Maine. Eastern MA seems very different than Western MA. Eastern New York state, at least the bit near us, seems similar to Vermont. The rest of New England is alien to me.
The south has perhaps been corrupted to an extent by other influences.

Heh. D'ya think so? Did New England once have a fairly homogenous culture at one point, or were there regional differences within New England? I am no expert on New England history, so I'm curious.
When I have a bit more time, I'll read this. Thanks for posting the link, Don.

RSS

About

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2018   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service