Can we use fonts from, for example, Google Fonts, in messages on Atheist Nexus?

https://designshack.net/articles/css/a-beginners-guide-to-using-goo...

https://developers.google.com/fonts/docs/getting_started

This is a place to experiment.

Views: 147

Replies to This Discussion

Testing testing 1 2 3... first, can we even specify regular (locally installed) fonts or font stacks?

(Font stack: a list of fonts; the browser will use the first one listed that's available. It's good to end the list with one of the generic "fallback" names like serif, sans-serif, or cursive, in case none of the named fonts are available.)

YES! Seems like it works! Jackdaws love my big sphinx of quartz. Can I remember any other pangrams?...

The code for that, in HTML mode, was: <span style="font-family: 'Book Antiqua',Georgia,serif;">YES! <em>Seems like it works!</em> Jackdaws love my big sphinx of quartz. Can I remember any other pangrams?...</span>

BTW, a quick way to get the <span>...</span> around some text, in regular WYSIWYG (not HTML) mode, is to underline it. You can then go into HTML mode and replace the "text-decoration: underline;" with whatever CSS style stuff you like.

[And the (probably) typewriter-style code above was with <code>...</code> tags.]

Now trying with a font from Google Fonts:

[Still working, and editing this reply... It's not accepting an @import directive inside <style>...</style>... trying putting it inside the first <span style="...">... I hope to get a Fraktur-style font, NOT Comic Sans or whatever the "cursive" fallback is.

AN/Ning's HTML filter stripped out the whole <span> tag with the evil icky @import in it.

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

There was a time when I could recite the Jabberwock from memory.  That time is gone  :-)

I committed a few brain cells to it, as a kid. :)

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!"

(Good for making spelling checkers go crazy!

Seen on a Nancy Lebovitz calligraphic button:
"No spelling checker underlines MY words" [complete with wavy underline])

I also knew

It was many and many a year ago,
In a kingdom by the sea,
That a maiden there lived whom you may know
By the name of Annabell Lee
And this maiden she lived with no other thought
Than to love and be loved by me.
She was a child and I was a child,
In this kingdom by the sea,
But we loved with a love that was more than love--
I and my Annabell Lee--
With a love that the winged seraphs of heaven
Coveted her and me.

I was a weird kid.

Weird kids (and those of us who used to be weird kids) unite!

btw, I also saw someplace:

"INTROVERTS UNITE!
(in small groups, for limited times)"

Seen on another Nancy Lebovitz button:

"Dullard: someone who can open an encyclopedia or dictionary and only read what they'd planned to"

I give up on this. If someone knows how to use web fonts on here, please let us know!

At least we can use font stacks. Here's an article listing several extremely common, and good-looking, fonts that are very likely to be installed on people's computers. No idea about phones. 16 Gorgeous Web Safe Fonts To Use With CSS

I don't know how to use it but here is a link to text effects for Ning.  It might make more sense to me if written backwards in Greek then translated to maya glyph alphabet.

Text effects in Ning

Im quitting now.

Thanks, Daniel! Looks like that's meant for site owners... I wonder if we can insert some of those incantations in our own <span style="..."> ... </span> tags in comments?

Let's try a "RETRO" shadow effect!

The answer seems to be yes!

For what I just did, I used:

<span style="font-size: 400%; background: white; color: #7d4217; text-shadow: 3px 2px 0 #333333,
6px 4px 0 #999999;">Let's try a "RETRO" shadow effect!</span>

The "color" and "text-shadow" parts were from inside the curly brackets in the "text_retro" effect definition.

Trying another effect:

Some politicians' statements deserve to be rendered with a "pants on fire" style.

I added "font-size: 300%; background: #000000; display: inline-block; padding: 0.5em;" to the "fire" stuff.

An important thing about "text-shadow" is that a shadow can be blurred. Details: http://www.w3schools.com/cssref/css3_pr_text-shadow.asp

You make it look so easy. No wonder you and Ruth put out such interesting font styles. 

RSS

About

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

Nexus on Social Media:

© 2020   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: The Nexus Group.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service